Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jewelry hallmarks

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 7:31

My aunt has given my daughter a garnet and diamond ring. It was purchased by my uncle at an estate sale about 30 years ago. No one has any idea of the history of the ring prior to that purchase.

The setting is yellow gold. We took it to a jeweler yesterday to have it sized. He believes the gold is 18kt but he could not find the usual "18kt" mark.

However, while he was looking, he noticed 3 tiny designs stamped into the lower shank of the band. The designs were on the outside of the band rather than the inside where I would think they would usually be placed. The designs are only visible using a microscope.

The jeweler and my daughter describe them as looking like (1)something indistinguishable and the number "200," (2)a ram, and (3)a lady reclining, although they are not 100% certain on any of those things.

Does anyone have a clue what the markings could be? If so, what do they signify?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jewelry hallmarks

I have only a clue--British jewelry apparently has had an elaborate marking system for jewelry much like for silverware for quite a while (they are known for their bureaucracy after all). I'm sure other countries have a form of this but the English system is very informative. I don't think yours is English (too interesting) but that's the easy one to start with. The assay offices have translations online. Here's one site that seems to have some pictures to give you an idea--not sure how good it is though!

Here is a link that might be useful: random jewelry marks page

o

I'm surprised the jeweler wasn't knowlegeable enough to know if any of the marks represented a gold standard. Take it to someone who specializes in antique jewelry.

o

I agree with Antiquesilver....
And from what I know of antique garnet jewelry, it would be very unlikely that it would be 18 K gold....more likely 10K.
But the jeweler can tell with a chemical test, if he can't trace the markings.

o

I had an antique ring that I thought was just metal and paste. The jeweler told me the stones were garnet and the metal was 18k gold. I don't remember any markings and since have lost the ring, darn it.

o

These definitely sound like European hallmarks. The 200 might be an 800 or a 500 (12K). The ram, maybe a lion. maybe French?

Garnet is usually set in low carat metal or brass, but I have also seen it set in higher carat gold, especially with the diamond.

Good luck!

o

Thanks all for your help and your advice. My daughter is going to take the ring to someone specializing in antique jewelry.

o

If the garnet is translucent with a deep rose color, it may be a rhodolite garnet. These are very pretty and good cuts are valued above other garnets. Most garnets are rather dark; good ones are are translucent with certain colors having more value than the average.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here