Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellyrage

3 panel fireplace screen (or at least that's what I think )

jellyrage
14 years ago

I was given this as a gift... I'm not actually sure it's a fireplace screen. That's just what it looks like. It appears to be made out of plywood, with some sort of leather (maybe) cover on the front, and spanish motif painted over it. There's decorative nails bordering frame, and a faded sticker in the back that says something along the lines of Genuine Pen Ger?

Any help / clues are greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Interesting. The pictures look like 1900-1930s romanticized "California Mexican" prints. It's a fireplace filler in the "Spanish Colonial" style ... but might alsobe from the 1960s/70s revival of those things.

Can you get a better focused picture of the label? That's the key toIDing this thing

• lindac
    14 years ago

Why do you say plywood? Can you see for sure that's what it is?
    Looks very Deco to me...Don;'t think it's as late at 1960...or has been poorly taken care of.
    Is that cracking intentional? Can you tell? Or a product of poor care.
    It's very charming...I hope the condition is better than it appears to me....would be a shame to have it fall to pieces.
    Linda C

• jellyrage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lazygardens - I do actually live in California :) As far as the label goes, it's really faded and that's about as good as it gets. I took some more pictures.

Lindac - It looks like plywood to me. I attached a picture. Also the cracking is intentional, in my opinion. It has definitely been taken care of poorly. Everyone who comes over seems to really like it, so I think it's still beautiful. I tend to favor modern (post-modern to be exact) furniture more, and am tempted to give it to someone who will take better care of it.

This is a close up of the front. It actually feels like leather to me.

Tried to take some more label pictures

The back also has a strange crackly appearance to it, too.

This is the back, and there's nails (I'm assuming from the decorative ones in the front)

And this is why I think it's plywood

• lindac
    14 years ago

Wow....for sure ply wood....and judging by the hanger...not a fire place filler but a tryptich.
    No clue what the surface is....
    Very interesting and charming...hope you keep it.
    Linda C

• lindac
    14 years ago

Wow....for sure ply wood....and judging by the hanger...not a fire place filler but a tryptich.
    No clue what the surface is....
    Very interesting and charming...hope you keep it.
    Linda C

• jellyrage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, the hanger hasn't always been there. It was added to hang it on the wall,... it's super heavy.. so I'm not sure how long it lasted on the wall. and by added I mean it runs through the hinges.

• pris
    14 years ago

Does that backing look like split leather to anyone else? When you take a piece of skin and peel it into two pieces it kinda looks like that after it ages. When fresh it has a fuzzy look and feel to it somewhat like raw paper. I'm probably not explaining the right. I can't quite come up with the description I'm looking for.

• jellyrage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pris
    Personally, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The description did make me cringe though *shiver* :) Sounds like hannibal lecter made the piece.

• pris
    14 years ago

We're not talking human skin here. Think cow hide. Look at the edges in the last two pics. They look frayed like torn paper.

• Fori
    14 years ago

It does look sorta like split leather, but of course hard to tell (and I'm sure hard to photograph). It could also be fuzzy from damage (dermestids come to mind). If the back wasn't painted and sealed like the front, it would definitely be more open to wear and tear and insect nibbling.

I like it. Not my style either, but if that's your house in the background, the colors are perfect. ;)

But it's a big thing to have around if you don't love it. Need my address? Just kidding!