Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnkenney

WW2 Japanese Tea Set

Lynnkenney
12 years ago

I have a tea set my father brought back from Japan where he served as part of the initial occupying force. The armistice hadn't even been signed yet. I've searched for years to figure out what it was, to no avail. Tonight, after 4 hours of more internet searches, I found an expired auction notice of the identical set, but have hit a dead end. The posting was: BRAND: FAIRYLAND CHINA

HAND PAINTED IN JAPAN MAIN COLORS: MAROON WITH GOLD LINING.

Advice? Guidance?

Comments (4)

• lindac
    12 years ago

How about a picture?

• lindac
    12 years ago

I found the listing you saw.
    Fairyland is not the name of the maker, but rather the name of a kind of decoration that the English perfected, gold edged raised pattern motifs.
    The system of Japanese china marking was so strange during those times sometimes the mark was the distributor and sometimes the pottery where the piece was made, and it seems that every valley had a pottery. It wasn't like Wedgewood or Spode....because lots of places made much the same stuff and marked them any way they thought would sell. Yours was obviously marked for the Americans.
    As you search you will have better luck looking for a pattern name....thinking of maybe queen and wiseman...or emporess....or maybe old man and woman. But As you no doubt found out, "fairyland" can describe lots of different patterns....all of them sith some metallic glaze on them.
    Or your next best method would be to trace the crown mark....google "crown mark on Japanese porcelain"....see what you find.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: tea set

• calliope
    12 years ago

Fairyland is indeed a pottery decorative finish, in fact it was patented by Wedgewood and marked a sort of lustreware. Linda is accurate in saying that Japanese potteries abounded and their wares were often marked with a distributor's mark because little pot shops often operated through them to market to a larger audience. As also stated, this was obviously made and marked for use out of their home country.

The use of "Fairyland" as a distributor or maker's name is legitimate, however. They were an import firm and were still in operation shipping to the U.S. artware from Japan in the later 1940s-1960s. I suspect it was either made pre-war or after the occupation years.

• Lynnkenney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANKS EVERYONE! Must be pre-war, which is pretty darn cool! Can't for the life of me figure out how to post a picture.....