Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbish130

Can you Identify this Lamp?

jbish130
13 years ago

I have this old lamp, originally oil (mantle) but now electrified. It uses a B&H burner assembly. I doubt that the globe is original.

Any information on this lamp would be appreciated. Company of manufacture (no markings), estimated year of manufacture, and anything else you might think relative.

Thank you.

Link for Photograph (on facebook): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=166113996757861&set=a.100966026605992.2105.100000777862925

Comments (5)

• suero
    13 years ago

Lamp:
    {{gwi:1395601}}

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

That's really a pretty lamp for a kerosene burner. It is more ornate than the ordinary run-of-the-mill lamp for the period of 1900 through 1947.

The REA (rural electrification act) was interrupted by WW2. Copper was seized as a strategic material. After the war, REA was restarted and many farms in mid-central US were electrified in 1947. After that, kerosene lamps dissappeared. A few small novelity lamps for buring perfumed oil contined into 1951.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

My knowledge is largly from West Virginia. Many farm houses and city homes were actually plumbed for gas and various fixtures were mounted on the walls to light the homes. However, chairs in the middle of the room often had side tables with the type of hurricane lamp in your picture for reading. The ornateness of the fixture may indicate perhaps a city situation. My guess would be 20ties to 30ties.

• calliope
    13 years ago

My mother grew up in homes lit with such lamps and they also cooked on a 'coal oil' kitchen range. They heated with wood, however. My fathers family had gas for lights and cooking, sometimes electric and they heated with coal.

My first husband's family lived on a farm in the Ozarks, and like said.....didn't get electric until well after he was born, heated with wood when I was in the family, and farmed with mules until the late fifties or early sixties. It prolly seems like ancient history to young people now, but kerosene was a fact of life for many of us still around.

Beautiful lamp, ornate and lovely. Can't really venture a guess, but think there is a possibility it may be a bit older. It could be from 1890s on is my guess, but does have a lot of 1920s look. That could be spot on.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Here in Iowa Farm and Home stores you can still buy an Alladin lamp....good for when the power goes out.
    On a site called "The Wick shop" they call your lamp a trophy lamp.
    I would date it about 1880 to 1900 by the style.
    Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: