Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Selling Ebay vs. Craigs list?

IÂm doing some renovations and in the process getting some new furniture. IÂve found I have an awful lots of things squirreled away that I might as well unload. IÂve been donating things for years, but some things were just too "good" to give away.

I want to try selling some of my old furniture and other decorative items. Obviously if itÂs big I will try CraigÂs list, and they will have to pick it up; or maybe a local consignment shop. But where is the cut-off, in deciding which is the best route to go? Size, price, both? For example (in decreasing size order) I have lamps, brass sconces, antique copper dishes, on down to linens/tablecloths.

Plus, for Ebay I would have to price to cover the hassle of packing, but for CraigÂs list would have to deal with the hassle of having people over to look at things.

Comments (12)

• maddielee
    15 years ago

I would set my price and try craigslist (because its free) first. If it doesn't sell, then try ebay.

Spend time on Ebay looking at similar items in completed auctions, to get an idea of what the final selling price was. And be sure you have the items weighed, shipping boxes ready, and know the shipping costs before you place the item up for bid on Ebay.

You may find that there is no longer much of a market in the items that you want to sell.

Good luck.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

There has been some recent reports about dealings with craigslist, mainly about unsavory people coming to your house. Seller beware. I also understand that ebay ownes craiglist.

Also, it is not uncommon to see larger items on ebay listed for pickup only.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"unsavory people", uh, oh! I was kind of wondering about that before I started looking there myself, but it seemed like so many people were listing, that I stopped thinking about it. I donÂt want a criminal sizing me up for a burglary! Are there reports here I can read? ThatÂs a powerful incentive to use the consignment shop for the furniture, and do Ebay for the small pieces.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

I am sure the vast majority of users have excellent results with craigslist. Whether you use them or the newspaper, you are inviting people in to your home. Always make sure to have some one with you. There was a story in the papers about a man who listed a car for sale. When the buyer showed up there was no car and the faker held up the buyer for the money.

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

I have had very good luck with craigslist and met a lot of very ncie people! I live in CT and all of my furniture was bought by folks from NYC. I use to sell quite a bit on ebay but honestly I think their market has dropped way off. I just recently sold a few things on ebay a few weeks ago and got about half of what I should have gotten. Ebay fees have gotten way out of hand now and you have to accept paypal and pay those fees also. Only sell on ebay if you know you can get a lot of money for something.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have bought and sold quite a bit on CL and we have met the nicest people doing so. I live in a suburb of a very large metropolitan city and have not had a bit of trouble. I have never ebayed, it seems daunting.

• suesan_2008
    15 years ago

Have you checked out Kijiji? I happened to have had much better luck with them than with Craig's list, and Craig's list had some glitches that made it frustrating. Several times I wasn't able to find ads I had posted and heard this complaint from some others too.

• pattie196054
    14 years ago

I have had good luck with Craigs List as well. I have never listed with anyone else. I have a few things that I believe are old, How old? I am still trying to find out. One of the things is an old crystal chandelier. I also have a couple of old radios. a couple of old pocket watches, several old watches (mens and ladies). several old knives, old guns, older china (charm crest,knowles) some silverplated things, one mens old razor, an older womens razor (both electric. just to name a few things, if anyone has any info on anything, Please reply thanks

• berrypatch
    14 years ago

I have sold things on both. I generally sell things on Craig's list that are too large or heavy to ship. I have had no problem with any customers who have come to the house. I did advertise our rental property once on Craig's List and found that I was getting a lot of out-of-towners who wanted photos. Only one person came to look at the house and they declined to give me the name and phone number of their current landlord.

• wyattearp_ns
    14 years ago

I agree with susan_2008. we had our best experiences using
    http://www.kijiji.com/
    or
    http://www.gumtree.com/
    Both are world-wide classified ad sites. Kijiji worked best for our demographics. We never did get into e-bay, because you have no idea what you are buying until you recieve it.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

I've sold through both Craigslist and Ebay and I'd recommend Craigslist -- if you go the Ebay route you'll pay a lot of fees and need to set up a Paypal account -- and then pay MORE fees to Paypal when you receive payment for your items.

If you ship the items be sure to do a LOT of research ahead of time. Most companies charge by weight and size and will charge extra for odd-sized items. So if you list on Ebay with a set shipping amount, you may find that when you get to the post office or UPS store that you actually owe more than you thought to ship it and that eats into your profit, too!

Good luck!

• stinkytufted
    14 years ago

I have sold a bunch on both and I would recommend going to Craigslist first. Mostly because it's free and if you live in a more populated area there are a lot of people checking through there all the time. I know here in NY stuff disappears as quickly as it goes up, so the turnaround is great. If nothing moves you can always put it on eBay, just be aware you will have to pay the fees.

Not sure if you are trying to sell any rugs, but I found this great comparison article relative to Oriental Rugs. It compares the pros and cons of selling on each, which could be applied to most anything.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Selling Oriental Rug or Persian Carpet