Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identify Chandelier

Posted by thomas_paine (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 0:16

I'm looking for help in identifying the age and maker of the chandelier in the accompanying photograph.

I purchased this fixture in a department store about 40 years ago. It measures approximately 24 inches in diameter and has 7 lights: one on each of the six arms and one in the center. The tag (which I no longer have) that came with the chandelier said the frame is 24K gold-plated and that it is decorated with strass crystals. The only marks on the frame are the words "MADE IN GERMANY" stamped into the metal.

Having viewed approximately 1000 strass chandeliers on various websites without finding anything similar, I'm hoping someone reading this has seen a like item and can lead me to some additional information regarding its origin.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identify Chandelier

It is Dazzling!

Did you purchase it new? Most Dept store don't have antiques or vintage items.

Are the crystals CUT glass or pressed or fire polished?

I see spots of color....colored crystals or does it reflect colors like a prism?

There are a couple of sellers on eBay located in Germany. If you like, I'll get their eBay names so you contact them.

Truly spectacular chandelier!

o

Zippity-do-dah,

Thanks for the reply.

It was supposedly new when I purchased it. Or at least not used. What makes me wonder about its age is the "MADE IN GERMANY" mark. For 1971-72 I would expect it to read "WEST GERMANY" or some variation thereof.

The crystals are clear, colorless, cut glass. They are supposed to be "Strass" glass from Austria and appear to be so: clear as the purest water, perfectly flat polished facets without polishing lines, and incredible refractive fire far beyond what the photo shows.

I would appreciate the eBay names of the sellers in Germany if you get a chance to do that.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

o

It is very beautiful! Any chance the department store is still in business?

o

nyboy,

As I recall, the department store in question went out of business in 1975.

Thanks for writing.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here