Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sera66

Art Nouveau Lamp help ID

sera66
11 years ago

Hello, I wonder if someone could help me identify this lamp,the lamp belonged to my grandmother, we own this lamp for more than 60 years,any help would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou.

Comments (14)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Pretty! It must be really lovely whebn lit.

I would call it more art deco than art nouveau.

How big is it? And what does it hang from? Ornate globes like this were used in foyers, and also as altar lamps in some public buildings (theaters, office biuldings, etc.)

Carefully, with a magnifying glass, check every bit of the metal, including where the light bulb screws in, looking for a maker's mark.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That is so beautiful! Lucky you. Hope someone can give you lots of info on it.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Could we see the canopy?

It looks like the individual pieces of glass were molded to fit into the frame, rather than being cut. They seem to be shaped and very three-dimensional. If so, this must have been a very expensive piece when first made. The metal appears to be bronze. Do you think the fixture is European or American -- any way to know? Are there any markings on the metal?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Sara lives in Mexico....so that may give a clue as to why it appears so different to Americans.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I agree it's more art deco than nouveau. It reminds me of the light fixtures in my parent's home, built in the late 20s, very early thirties. The fixture over their lower vestibule suspends, like this and to change out a bulb, one unhooks a fastener to allow the lower and upper half of the orb to open up like an orange sliced through the middle, like a book, becuase the hinges keep the two halves from coming completely apart. Their old fixtures were supposed to come across as bronze, but I have no idea what the metal is actually. Light fixtures from that era have stolen my heart, it's a pity to replace them, and a sin to not salvedge them somehow to be used somewhere else.

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou all very much,i can not find any maks or signature
    on the lamp,here are more pictures.

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another picture

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another picture

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

For a few seconds, I thought you dropped it and broke it!

The harder it is to find out what it is, the harder we dig for it ... it's definitely molded glass made to fit the frame, definitely late 1920s or early 1930s.

The general style is called "jewel" or "chunk" glass, because it is in medallions and pieces, not flat like stained glass.

Where was your grandmother and her family from? Did she travel or live abroad? What business was her family in?

I'm asking because that style shows up in some Austrian and French light fixtures.

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou lazygardens,All I know is that my grandmother always said that it was a tiffany lamp,I never knew where she bought the lamp,but it has been in my family for more than 60 years.thanks.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Any lamp in the Tiffany style is often called that.

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks calliope, I also think that is not a Tiffany lamp, I leave this foto,I just love when lamp is turn on.

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

It is a treasure!

• sera66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you very much Zippity,I may never know who made this beautiful lamp.