Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helen_me

one armed chair

helen_me
17 years ago

Hi, I have had a chair for a few years now, passed down from my great grandmother. It is set low to the ground, small, and has only one arm. I cant find anything remotely close to it when searching online, as a matter of fact I cant even find a one armed chair. I have had offers on it from visitors to my home, but always refuse them. I want to know more about it. The bottom has carved wood legs and feet. It has probably been re-covered a few times, one by my mother but when she got it it was a satin soft chenille feel light blue fabric.

Comments (9)

• helen_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

how do i post a pic??

• helen_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

said pic was too big..and i sometimes dont see the browse button,,,this stinks because i really want to know some history of this chair.

• helen_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

update on the chair..i just spoke to my mom and she said the chair was actually originally a red fabric and it belonged to my great great grandfather who was a southern doctor.
    thanks

• lindac
    17 years ago

Here's a picture of "The Chair"
    {{gwi:1395497}}
    And another view:
    {{gwi:1395498}}
    And still one more:
    {{gwi:1395499}}

I believe it's a late 19th century....late Victorian chair that is part of a parlor set....which would have included a settee, perhaps a "patent rocker" a ladies chair and a gentleman's chair...as well as a side chair and a corner chair.
    Chairs that fit into a corner were very often part of such a set....and this chair would have likely have been used in a corner.
    The wood appears to be maple...not chip carved as is typical of Eastlake, but "engraved" as in earlier styles.
    Linda C

• helen_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Linda. I have always had it in a corner and I think its very cute. So when it comes to value, do you think it is worth anything? Also I dont know if this matters because Im not good with antiques but my mom said that before she recovered it, it was stuffed with horse hair..was that common back then?
    -Helen

• lindac
    17 years ago

Horse hair was common then and is used now on very high end stuff...
    Yes it's worth "something"....depending on where you are....couple of hundred for sure...maybe more.
    I think it's cute too!!..Please take the tassles off the arm!! LOL! It's too nice to hide with a tassle.
    Linda C

• helen_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just got another opinion from an antiques dealer. He said that the chair is and off spring of the round about or corner chair, dating 1870's, the victorian aesthetic movement. value is in the range of $3,500.00 dollars.

• janemccallum
    8 years ago

I heard these were chairs to accommodate ladies with wide skirts (hooped).

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Not really so at all. Dealers like to romanticize their goods. Hooped skirts were long gone by the time that chair was made.