Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery china mark - G & H with a lion and crown

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 22:34

Does anyone recognize this china mark? I'ts on the back of one of my grandmother's plates. It looks familiar to me but I can't find any info on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery china mark - G & H with a lion and crown

I think this shows the same makers mark. the 1901-1922 time frame looks like it may be the same. Hope this helps :)

http://www.potteryhistories.com/doultonbackstamps.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Doulton

o

It's not Doulton....
A picture of the whole piece would help to get the feel for the country of origin. There were other countries that tried to jump on the "Royal whatever" bandwagon...including China and Japan. It could well be American.

o

It also looks quite a lot like the Chelsea Art Pottery backstamp, although their lion is crowned. But they do have the "G & H" -- just in reverse order!
Love your lion; it looks like it's been crossbred with a Pekinese.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chelsea art pottery backstamp

o

The pixillated appearance of the stamp shows it's not done with a transfer....as transferware is....it's transferware wanna be. The design is printed on the blank using a photographic process.
But I still can't tell you what country.....perhaps China.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here