Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_vocal

Looking for info on our Eastlake-style settee

golden-vocal
9 years ago

We've had this in storage, and wanting to learn more about its origin and possibly maker. Is the mark at the top a maker's mark? Idea of value? Other thoughts n' info?
Thanks, Joe

Comments (10)

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Manufacturers in the mid-1800s did not put their mark front and center, as on a "designer" shirt today. If you find it at all, it will be hidden from plain sight -- maybe a brand inside the frame of the seat.

That is a lovely piece. On my monitor, it looks like walnut, with burl or burr wood accents. Sadly Eastlake is not very popular right now in most markets, so its market value will be relatively low compared to its worth. But dollar value is highly dependent on location. Where do you live?

I would consider keeping it and using it for another decade or two, as sooner or later the Victorian styles will recover popularity. Just please don't sell it to someone who will paint it, then throw it away in a few years when styles change again.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I would ID that as Renaissance revival, not Eastlake. A friend of mine who is furnishing a large 1870's house got a set like that with the sofa, 2 armchairs and 4 side chairs for $750. Admittedly, he talked them down a great deal.
    Even though a 2 seater, it's usually a little to large for the MBR.
    Casey

• golden-vocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fun info!
    Here's a pic of the front top center - if not a maker's mark, then... the purchasing family's monogram?

We don't seem to have room for it - I'll check with my sister, and see if she has room, before listing on the open market.

• User
    9 years ago

I could find a place to store that for you until you decide you like it!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

They mixed all kinds of styles (revivals) at the time. I would call it Eastlake, the shallow spoon carving and geometric shapes are distinctive of Eastlake, I would want a bit more flourish then the wing curve, before I would place the influence in Renaissance revival, but they did that, mixing styles. Collectors tend to like styles that are more 'pure' or a pastiche, right now. But I agree, it is worthy of tucking into a back bedroom for a decade.

I think anyone who would pay more than $100 for it today would be a foolish romantic, but I would CL it at $150, looking for that buyer and so I could come down in price. 15 years from now it should be worth upwards of $500-$800, and a cherished hand me down. "Oh, that old thing, you can have it." "Really?" "...Honey, you'll never believe what Joe gave me just for helping him put in his new windows..."

This post was edited by Lilylore on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 2:44

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The monogram/cypher looks like it means HW Co. or WH Co.
    I wonder if it was originally in a pullman car or hotel lobby.
    It's 97% RenRev and 3% Eastlake. RenRev predates Eastlake by a decade or more, was a powerful lasting influence, and Eastlake itself drew on Renaissance forms, but in distinct way.
    Here's a nice idea of Eastlake, from my collection:
    {{gwi:2132566}}
    {{gwi:2132567}}
    And a random Eastlake settee from the innertubes:
    {{gwi:2132568}}
    Finally the link is to a pic of a nice high-style RenRev piece so you can see the differences.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: high style RenRev settee

• igloochic
    9 years ago

I would easily pay more than a hundred dollars for it. It's a lovely piece and actually looks comfortable :). I don't know where things are that cheep, but they aren't in the Pacific northwest.

If it needs a home I have a historic living room or bedroom it can visit anytime!

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

nice eastlake mongrel. i can't tell from the pic. is that a hall tree?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Right, if you own a fancy antique shop in a high end shopping district -you can ask what ever you want and sit on it till dooms day, These little setees are cute, but not all that comfortable, easy to decorate with nor all that desirable. If you want to wholesale it, or putting it in a weekend garage sale, or trying to unload it on Craig's list, you have to be more reasonable in what you can expect to get.

But if you're selling to a wealthy spendthrift who's trying to deck out a 20 room Victorian mansion overlooking the ocean, by all means, stick it to them and quadruple that price.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Igloochic is right -- the price is very dependent on the region. I currently live in an area where Victorian furniture is not highly appreciated. Many of my family, however, live where there is still a good market for it.