Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Dating Chair

Posted by Linderhof1208 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 22:15

I bought this chair at an antique mall and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. There are no marks on it and it is a small chair -- more like a child's chair. The second picture shows it next to one of my 1860's breakfast room chair so you can see that it is much smaller (and those chairs are smaller than regular dining room chairs)

Hopefully, there will be two pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Dating Chair

Nice chairs......both of them.
Can't find an example of that exact chair....but I believe it's late Victorian Era....perhaps southern? Maybe French?.....did it originally have a rush seat? Probably mahogany, and meant to be a side chair....might have had a twin.
Linda C

o

I don't think it had a rush seat -- the underpinings don't appear to have supported a rush seat. Oh, and I'm sure that it's not a single -- that there is at least one more out there!

Hmmm . . . interesting about the French -- didn't think of that!

o

Please measure the height of the back to the floor and the height of the seat to the floor. If you could get a picture of the bottom of the chair's construction it would help. Thanks.

o

The wood looks like old maple to me. Over 100 years or so, it ages to a wonderful dark honey color. The back appears to have tiger or striped grain.

The only underpinnings rush seats need are the front, back, and side rails, which are rounded on the top, outside and bottom, but may be squarish on the inside. Sometimes there was a wooden slat over the outside edge to finish it off. The style does look like it might have been rush-seated originally.

I would put it at early- to mid-Victorian and probably American.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here