Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linderhof1208

Help Dating Chair

Linderhof1208
12 years ago

I bought this chair at an antique mall and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. There are no marks on it and it is a small chair -- more like a child's chair. The second picture shows it next to one of my 1860's breakfast room chair so you can see that it is much smaller (and those chairs are smaller than regular dining room chairs)

Hopefully, there will be two pictures!

Comments (4)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Nice chairs......both of them.
    Can't find an example of that exact chair....but I believe it's late Victorian Era....perhaps southern? Maybe French?.....did it originally have a rush seat? Probably mahogany, and meant to be a side chair....might have had a twin.
    Linda C

• Linderhof1208
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think it had a rush seat -- the underpinings don't appear to have supported a rush seat. Oh, and I'm sure that it's not a single -- that there is at least one more out there!

Hmmm . . . interesting about the French -- didn't think of that!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Please measure the height of the back to the floor and the height of the seat to the floor. If you could get a picture of the bottom of the chair's construction it would help. Thanks.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

The wood looks like old maple to me. Over 100 years or so, it ages to a wonderful dark honey color. The back appears to have tiger or striped grain.

The only underpinnings rush seats need are the front, back, and side rails, which are rounded on the top, outside and bottom, but may be squarish on the inside. Sometimes there was a wooden slat over the outside edge to finish it off. The style does look like it might have been rush-seated originally.

I would put it at early- to mid-Victorian and probably American.