Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a 'Whats it?'

Posted by pudgeder (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 22:10

This is a puzzlement.

It has a HUGE rolling pin w/peg on the end that fits in a hole. This allows the pin to roll out SOMETHING in this tray. The center line is a groove/crevice about 1/2" deep. At then... narrow end of the table, there's a hole... as if "juice" would be squeezed out of of whatever is rolled and then drains out the hole. BUT the table isn't tilted for gravity to pull the liquid out.

And then there's the beautiful little trough for resting the rolling pin in.

This was at an auction, I didn't purchase it but no one could figure out what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a 'Whats it?'

That is a "head scratcher". My guesses are:

1. A peanut masher for making crunchy peanut butter.

2. Nut meat masher.

3. Fruit masher for making jams.

4. A grain masher to prepare grain for making fermented beverages.

o

I have seen one....but trying to remember....the best I can come up with is a crusher for sorghum stalks to make syrup.
I have seen a demo of making sorghum syrup and that may be where I have seen that thing.

o

Found it! It's a butter worker!

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter Worker

o

The groove is a failed glue joint between planks, not part of the drain system.
Casey

o

It may have been modified by cutting the legs to make the tray level, or mounted on a table base, because the ones I remember were tilted. You put a bucket under the hole to catch the buttermilk, and just roll back and forth over the butter. It's way easier than doing it with the paddles.

Something similar can be used to press the lard out of cracklins when you have scooped and drained all you can.

o

No, the groove is NOT a failed glue joint between planks.
That is the way it was made.

Lazygardens, that may be true. Otherwise the buttermilk would pool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here