Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this device?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 21:10

I'm curious about the equipment pictured in the photos below. The Kitchen Table people helped find some information about it, but I'm not sure what it is, some sort of grinder? The company John A. Gilbert & Co. is mentioned on the advertising flyer. Can anyone give me more information?

photo wheel2.jpg

photo wheel.jpg

photo wheel3.jpg

photo Gilbertad.png

Lastly, in case anyone is interested, there is a link to Gilberts in Ypsilanti (must be MI). These people had a mill, so maybe it's an extension of the English branch of the business that we see in the flyer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilbert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this device?

The critical part for identification is the bit between the crank and the flywheel ... do you have a picture of that part?

o

Lazy--thank you for taking a look. So sorry, these are the only shots I took, and I'm now out of the area where the machine is located.

o

It might be part of a rotating agitator system used to keep flour moving through a large sifter in a mill or large bakery. Possibly used to extract flour samples for testing or remove debris from the sceens without shutting down the system.

o

Your piece may have been an iron and brass coffee grinder. The brass urn (on top) for holding coffee beans is missing. There may have been a second fly-wheel on the other end of the shaft.

In the link below note the similarity of the wheel to your wheel.. Both are 5 spoked and the spokes are straight.

This apparatus would have been bolted/screwed to a counter top in a grocery store, possibly a country store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrought Iron and Brass Coffee Grinder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here