Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebay_gw

Ideas on this antique silk crib quilt with ribbonwork?

rosebay
12 years ago

Hi,

I was hoping someone in this forum might be able to help...

I have been hanging on to this crib quilt, because I just fell in love when I first saw it. Of course, it has been stored away ever since. And, circumstances are such that I must downsize.

I was wondering if you have any ideas on the value? I've look through ebay, etc., but have never seen anything quite like this.

Thanks for your help.

Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures are here

Comments (10)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Why do you think it's a crib quilt? Could it be a table cover?
    It's fabulous....if I am seeingw hat I think I see! Are those flowers made of silk ribbon? # dimensional....not printed fabric? Wow!!
    and would love to have a better and closer, clearer picture of the lace.....it looks hand done!
    If it is all those things, and if it is in as wonderful condition as it appears.....that's worth lotsa bucks.....in the right place. I mean a thousand or more...IF...you can find a buyer and it's in the condition it appears.
    Any idea on provenance??
    Very special!
    Linda c

• rosebay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Linda,

Well, it is quilted - some sort of batting on the inside. I don't know anything about antique textiles, but I think I remember the antique dealer that sold it to me said it was a crib quilt.

Yes, the flowers are most definitely silk - either ribbon or fabric. They are shredded, though. But, would make a lovely reference piece for someone (which is why I bought it. I was going to keep it until I had grandkids and then copy it.

It's in pretty good condition (some lace is damaged = about in the center of the quilt, and there is a pinhole in the back - on the silk backing, and a small section of the lace ruffle is torn. Did I mention the darker lace is metallic? And the ribbon - tied into knots and bows... is a beautiful, soft, striped velvet! Really, it is far more fabulous in person. The pics just don't do it justice. Well, maybe it's really the photographer ; )

Thank you for your encouraging comments and kind words - it's so nice when others appreciate the same things that i do! I've never seen anything like it - before or since. And, I don't want to tell you how much I paid for it - it was a steal.

I'll take more pics - maybe in the sunlight? and post again.

Anita

• lindac
    12 years ago

That was not meant to go on a baby bed!!!
    Is there a museum near you that might give you some ideas....?

• calliope
    12 years ago

You may want to share your pictures with the quilting forum. Some of the ladies there are professionals and attend major showings and know their way around the quilt world or have special interests in particular techniques from certain eras. You would be surprised at some of the pomp and circumstance put into later turn of the century quilts and coverlets...velvet and crystal for instance and certainly hand-wrought ribbon flowers. I'm not sure it's a crib quilt, either........but may have found its way onto a pram. It helps if you give dimensions with your photographs.

• calliope
    12 years ago

silk, lace and embroidered pram covers are still rather in vogue in Europe and there is still a market for them. And yes......they can get very fancy because they're meant to be seen and envied when you take your child out in public. Most are not as large as a crib quilt, nor are meant to be in everyday use but smaller, with rounded corners and fancy. That's why I was interested in the dimensions. I think that's a possibility for sure. If that is the case, yes it's very collectable. It's certainly worth getting appraised by someone very familiar with dating fabrics. It's very precious, but I suspect it's of much more modest value.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello calliope,

The dimensions are 45" x 54" - I contacted someone in the UK and they said they had never seen anything like it, but guessed it was from the 19th century. I've had no luck at the quilt forum. I've contacted someone from a museum, but no response yet. My next option is to drag it with me when I travel to San Diego, and maybe a museum there would have an idea?

Thanks for your interest, and response! As soon as I find out anything I will definitely post.

Anita

• karinl
    12 years ago

The overall design is quite intriguing. Looks like someone made a circular piece and then realized it had to be bigger after all. Or, they wanted to use up a big roll of lace! It is lovely. Would look nice hanging on a wall, but that might make it deteriorate especially if it gets in the sun. In what part of the world did you get it?

Karin L

• calliope
    12 years ago

I have extended family in the U.K. and lived in Europe. I can assure you silk pram covers are not unusual and you can find them online (modern versions). It could very well be late eighteen hundreds, or early nineteen hundreds and an evaluation of the materials would be a help in determining that and that is a hands-on affair. I could not see any quilting stitches on it......are there? I hang out at the quilt forum, as I am a quilter and didn't see you post any query.

Yes, keep us informed. It's definitely not something one would see every day and hope it is very unique and vauable.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Looks like alencon lace to me.
    I woulds earch the sitesd ealing with antique lace.....then perhaps look for sites on silk ribbon flowers....see if you can find someone who seems knowlegable and will agree to look at a picture.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had a couple look at the pictures, but could tell the "looks" were fleeting, at best. Guesses of normandy lace.

I am from Northern California, and obtained the little quilt from Sacramento, CA.

Calliope - No quilting stitches, you are correct.

odd about my quilting post - I know I posted one. I'll go check!

I'll be out of town for a week or so, so it could be two weeks before I post an update or see if anyone has provided feedback.

(I even contacted a couple of the 'experts' from Antiques Roadshow!)