Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
china town elephant bottle opener

Posted by jaynboro (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 20:55

i have googled this and searched, but cannot find one like it. anybody know any history of it?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: china town elephant bottle opener

Is it brass? I looked under "bottle openers" usually they are ones with the "hook" to open the bottle, can you open a bottle with his trunk or not? Is it painted? Does it have a name on the other side like" Wilton" "Wright" "L&L" or "Gadzik" ? Could be under Souvenirs or just a mass produced item for those visiting San Francisco! I looked in a Kovels 2010 price guide, Schroeder's price guide 2003, Warman's Americana& Collectibles 6th ed. 1993,Warman's 38th ed. Antiques & Collectibles & CB's Garage Sale & Flea Market Collectibles 10th ed. so didn't find but 2 elephant ones & both use the "figure" to open the bottle. Yours may open it by using the lower piece that is kind of square or by using his trunk.If you can't use his trunk than he isn't a "true" bottle opener! Good Luck! Even the real old figurals are only worth under $100 (might be some rare ones worth more)& with economy bad probably lot less. It's cute tho so enjoy using it!!

o
RE: china town elephant bottle opener

It appears to be white brass....which is an alloy with another name but I can't remember what that name is.
Yes it appears to open the bottle with the square part. Not sure why sunnyca seems to think only if the figure opens the bottle is it "real"...sure looks real to me.
Perhaps a souvenir from the 1915 world's fair?
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here