Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxdread

Leather wallet - I think! Can anyone tell me more about it?

MaxDread
11 years ago

Hi all

My first post! I have this item and wondered if anyone knows anything about it.... I have had it 15-20 years and really cannot remember where I got it from. I'm not even entirely sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it is leather but I'm not certain on that either.

My guess is that it is some kind of wallet/purse.

I wondered if anyone has ever seen anything like it, whether anyone can tell me anthing about it, and whether it has any worth.

Apologies in advance if it is not an antique and/or worthless. = if this is one of those special antique roadshow moments!

I've tried looking for something on similar on the internet but had no luck. That could be because I know so little about it and therefore might not have been using the best seaarch terms....

Many thanks

Max

Some pics can be found here:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/antique-wallet-purse-unusual-design-green-soft-leather/112872690

Comments (15)

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's called Florentine leather....popular about 1950's to 1970's....was made in purses, lipstick cases, coin purses, letter folders, jewelry boxes, desk accessories etc....

It's called a clutch purse....I guess depending on how big it is...it's well worn...not much value...might be lucky to get $5.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florentine leather

• MaxDread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks for the input and help.

Someone thinks that it might date back to the 18th century and that it most likely would have been used used for holding important papers and money by a wealthy gentleman.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

"Someone thinks that it might date back to the 18th century and that it most likely would have been used used for holding important papers and money by a wealthy gentleman. "
    I think if that had been the case the gold tooling would be a lot more precise than it is, all the patterns would match up for instance. Your piece looks more mass-produced to me.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Someone thinks that it might date back to the 18th century and that it most likely would have been used used for holding important papers and money by a wealthy gentleman.

Any thoughts on that?

I think that someone has been watching too many seasons of Antiques Roadshow. :)

It's a modern leather women's clutch purse, machine stamped with a gold design, and stained. I wouldn't pay $5 for it in a thrift store.

A wealthy 18th century gentleman would be carrying an embroidered silk wallet like this one:

Or these:
    www.gregorylefever.com/pdfs/Pocketbooks2.pdf

http://pinterest.com/pin/276760339572328584/

• MaxDread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all (again)

Just an update on this. I sold it on ebay for �20 recently. The chap who bought it made out that he bought it for himself, but it turns out that he got it to sell on. He has listed it as "Georgian Gold Gilt Leather Wallet c1730". And with a few hours left to go until the auction ends, it is currently at �51!!!

The plot thickens!

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Well there's obviously one born every minute. I would be serious money that wallet is about as Georgian as an iPad is.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

was curious but could not find a listing on E-Bay.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Interesting that the eBay seller has described the wallet in almost the same exact words MaxDread's quoted above "someone" used................hmmm, the plot thickens indeed.
    With all the extra photos, I seem to see machine stitching on this item which is definitely _not_ Georgian...

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

do you mean unfair because it was bought from you and re-sold? or because it looks machine sewn and might not be as described?
    First, if you got what you were asking out of it, be happy and if it isn't from the 18th century, and it does look machine sewn which couldn't have happened then, be even happier :)

• MaxDread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@colleenoz. I not too sure what you mean in your post, to be honest....

@ingeorgia. Yes, I'm happy with what I got for it. I sold it honestly, making it quite clear that I did not not its age or what it may have previously been used for....

What I meant was that I feel for the person who bought it, if they have bought it based on the potential mis-information of the seller.

Cheers

• MaxDread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@colleenoz. I not too sure what you mean in your post, to be honest....

@ingeorgia. Yes, I'm happy with what I got for it. I sold it honestly, making it quite clear that I did not not its age or what it may have previously been used for....

What I meant was that I feel for the person who bought it, if they have bought it based on the potential mis-information of the seller.

Cheers

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Max, in your first reply (post #3 on this thread, you said, "Someone thinks that it might date back to the 18th century and that it most likely would have been used used for holding important papers and money by a wealthy gentleman. ".
    Almost those exact same words were used by the second seller on eBay. I find it...interesting.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Got ya Max ... and I agree.
    If they get it and find it not to be authentic they do have recourse through E-Bay and hopefully they are wise enough to have it authenticated.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Max,
    you realize that your Ebay auction already ended on November 14 and you posted your question above on November 15?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay