Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
truelife_gw

8 Way Hand Tied Chairs - stuffed with horse hair

truelife
11 years ago

I have a pair of antique slipper chairs that are 8 way hand tied, olive green with gold thread, and are filled with horse hair. How can I learn more about their worth?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Find more words to describe them and put those terms into google.
    Like exposed wood frame? Style? Walnut? Carved? Tufted? Olive green what? What do you know of provenance? Condition?
    Lots of more information needed to even tell you where to go to look.

• truelife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry - I'm not into antiques at all. A friend gave them to me because they didn't fit on a moving truck. ;) There is an exposed wood frame, they are walnut, are not carved, and they are tufted. They are an olive green upholstery with gold thread. One is in excellent condition, and one has a hole in the cushion that is the size of a half dollar. There are no stamps, letters, etc anywhere on the chairs.

I've tried several Google searches, and after a couple hours I didn't find anything that gave me any clues.

• truelife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another picture of the chair in the worst condition. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic - my camera started acting funny.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Still can't determine the basic style...I see nothing that indicates antique nor horsehair. The words "victorian" or "eastlake" or Louis XIV or regency would help with the search....but you have to post better pictures....so far all I see is green with a hole, part of a back and springs and stuffing.
    How about the top of the back? the shape of the leg?...as a start.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I believe the sinuous spring construction that holds the tied strings to the frame indicates relatively modern construction. The "fruitwood" color of the frame and upholstery says to me that these chairs are semi-antique or vintage, probably 1950s-1960s.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

They are definitely modern, old but not antiques. Sinuous springs came into use about the 50's or 60's.

BTW, you can't "8 way hand tie" sinuous springs. That can only be done with coil springs.

As an upholsterer, I've had to explain that to many customers.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

There does appear to be coil springs attached to the sinuous strings, so there may be some hand tied springs shaping the seat contours, but since sinuous strings are used instead of an older type "deck" on these chairs, that pretty much puts the chairs post WWII, since sinuous sprigs were patented sometime in the late 1930s I think.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I* see coil springs in that chair, under the wiggly ones.

Maybe added because the coils lost therir springiness?