Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to recognize antique led crystal?

Posted by htracey (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 18:53

My grandmother has got all kinds of crytal. She is always giving it to me and saying "I don't know if its lead crystal or not, it came from so-and-so".

I'd love to be able to recognize whats authentic and whats not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to recognize antique led crystal?

Set the dish or glass on a table.....and gently strike it with your flicked finger or a gentle blow form a pencil. If it rings like a bell it contains lead....the longer the tone continues, the greater the lead content.
If it's cut it must be lead glass....non lead glass is too brittle to cut. Real cut glass it sharp....you can tell by the edges of the design if it's been cut or molded.
However the problem comes when some glass waas molded with "cut-like" patterns and then the designs were embellished with actually cutting.
How about pictures of what you are questioning?
Linda C

o
Video shows how to testl?

I don't agree with everything this woman says, but she shows some wonderful glass.....and how to recognize the bell tone of lead crystal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Collecting flint glass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here