Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Some sterling napkin rings

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

Just want to share some sterling napking rings that I have. I have had a bag of them for about 17 years now in the closet. They belonged to my grandmother(Nani) who passed the first time Clinton was elected in that November in the early 90's. She was quite the antique collector and had everything. We would go to the fleamarkets and she would look very closely at every table. Something told me to go through the bag tonight and low and behold I found some sterling pieces. One(DICK) is even a Tiffany in the last picture front middle. I see some Gorham and Webster also and some have no names, just an S with a number. Linda, I will get more detailed descriptions over the weekend or very soon. There are a bunch more plated ones in the bag but some of them look too good to be plated. Does all sterling have a mark and is there a way to tell if it's sterling even though it's not marked? Thanks, Richie

Comments (6)

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

These are really interesting! Bought a tea ball to add to my collection... don't even use them?? The hinge on lid is broken, shaped like an acorn but initialed and marked sterling.

• lindac
    11 years ago

.....sigh....lucky you!! They are lovely!
    Some that are sterling don't have a "sterling" mark....but do have a maker's mark....some with a maker's mark are not sterling (925) but coin (900).
    Do you have any stories about them? Do you know if they are family pieces?
    Can't wait to see the next batch of pictures!

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda, I don't have any stories about them but I do know my grandmother was one for setting a great table back in the day. When I was young back in the 70's and would stay over my grandparents house for the weekend she would teach us how to set the table and would call herself "Kerstetter's Refinishing School". I think she collected them for the names inscribed on them and she would use them all of the time. She tried to buy names of the family, she was Dorothy and my grandfather was Dick and I was nicknamed Homer. I don't think they are family pieces but one I see is inscribed with a presentation date from the later 1800's and one of from the world's fair columbian exposition. I'll look more when I get home from work. Thanks.

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

I'm drooling on my keyboard!

It's my experience that most silverplate napkin rings are marked as such but coin or older sterling may not be or may show only a 'S', 'C', or a European standard. Your grandmother had a good eye & I have a feeling most of these are solid silver, especially the monogrammed ones. If it isn't marked & shows no sign of plate wear after cleaning it up, I assume it's all silver.

Looking forward to more photos.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first picture is I think more sterling, I polished them up and do not see any plate loss and the second picture is the plated napkin rings. There is one with a welded bottom and it must have been used as a toothpick holder. Thanks everyone!

• Linderhof1208
    11 years ago

I'm green. I simply adore silver napkin rings -- with names! I have a small collection and will use them whenever I can (and always every day our napkin is in a silver ring)

The ones with the name has a history and one of my favorites is "Florence Dalrymple -- don't you love that name.

I now have three with Christmas and 12/25 on them and I may look for some more -- they would be a great ring to use at Christmas.

Great rings!

Martha