Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aorothro

Looking for information/advice on rocking chair

aorothro
10 years ago

I would like to repair/refinish this rocking chair but am trying to find out more about it first. Can anyone help me learn more about it? Or give advice on how best to have it restored?

Comments (6)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Don't touch the finish until you learn more about this chair. The wear on the ends of the arms and the front edge of the seat seems normal. The two leather covered cushions do need a refresh, but maybe you should wait on this also until a professional appraiser has a look at your chair.

• User
    10 years ago

The carved face is probably the most distinctive bit ... it's called a "Green Man" after the various carved faces with leaves common in folk art from all over the world.

The best I can do is 1870s-1910, perhaps German or Scandinavian (the face looks vaguely "Viking" to me) or by someone from thiose areas. m

Do you have ANY info on the chair? Where did you acquire it?

• aorothro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the responses! Very interesting.

All I know is that my Grandmother likely acquired it from an older relative, perhaps her Aunt. My father is currently looking through my grandmother's documents to see if he can find any clues she may have left behind, but no luck so far. The only identification of its origin that I can find on it is that partial label shown in the one picture above.

I definitely don't want to touch it until I know as much as possible about it. Any additional thoughts or advice is much appreciated!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

In our area those are called Northwind chairs, depicting Boreas, usually with the gusts of wind coming from his nostrils. I didn't find any exactly like yours, but the different versions are interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwind chairs

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Quite a few on ebay, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwind chairs on ebay

• aorothro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I had seen those before but just didn't think this looked like it fit in. Regardless, I would like to make it usable again. Hoping to find someone good to do that for me.