Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marvinsson

Antique nail?

marvinsson
9 years ago

This was found at an 1880's home site. Any ideas what it is?

Comments (5)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cool! Looks like a nail. My house was built in 1880 too. I've found a horseshoe from then, Which I of course put over the front door, and the primitive nails are all over the place, but I've never seen one like that. Does look like some kind of saw tooth or nail, though.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

could be a nail. but it's pretty small even w/o the shoulders. anything small enough for a nail that size they'd likely use a wood peg. a blacksmith has to pound out each nail by hand, and they were expensive.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

That may be a "cut nail". Cut nails are punched out of flat stock. The manufacture of cut nails began in North America before 1800 as soon as rolled sheet iron and steel became available. Various fixtures were used to form heads on cut nails. I am restoring an antique clock that uses plain cut nails. The nail is flat with a small projection on one side at the top for a head. The head was not formed, but as cut/punched. There is a manufacturer making copies of antique nails using original antique nail making machinery. Web site: http://www.TremontNail.com I will be ordering nails from this source to repair my clock case. The nail style is correct for the age of my clock (1830 shelf clock). The nail that I need is called a headless brad.

Use Google with search term "antique nail" to find information about antique nails. One of the better sources I found was a paper written at the University of Connecticut.

Your "nail" appears to be a special purpose fastener. Its about 1 inch long which is about the smallest cut nail made. If it was driven into wood, most likely, the top part would have stood above the surface for some unknown purpose. I'm not certain that you piece was a nail. It could have been used to make a weaving frame for something about the size of a hot pad.

Nails of that size would have been found in small boxes, jewelry cases, music boxes, small cabinetry. etc. The shape is not right for a shoemaker's nail.

I think your piece is iron based, but check it with a magnet.

Can you tell us more about it? did you find it in a piece of wood or was it laying loose on the floor.? Was it in an old workshop? We are going to need all the clues we can get to identify that piece, because I do not think it was used as an ordinary nail. That could be an unused nail that would have been bent over after driven home.

• BMusedArtwork
    9 years ago

I have never seen a nail that looks like that. My grandfather was obsessed with old nails and had quite the collection. I see why you are stumped. It must of had another purpose. I cant see why anyone would make a custom nail/fastener in that shape. However the shape was not accidental for sure.. hmm please post any information you find out. Sorry I couldn't help to identify it.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

That could have been a key or wedge. Its about the right size for holding a clock hand onto its stem.