Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle123_gw

Era of chairs?

danielle123
9 years ago

Hi, new here. I just aquired two chairs that my friend was taking to the dump
And was wondering what year they might be? The first one is attached. Under the cushion is leather and inside the cushion is straw ( will post pic)

Comments (10)

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the stuffing

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the other chair - any help appreciated ðÂÂÂ

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

The first one is 1910 or so, either mahogany or a clear wood stained to look mahogany. What's going on with the back splat? Is that painting, a decal, or a ghost where something was removed?

The second one is a little harder to tell. Could we have a shot of the bottom of the front feet? Is the structure of the seat bottom exposed -- if so, could we see it? It's probably 1920-30, with elements of Jacobean and other styles, but we could use a little more information.

Both of them are well worth saving! Good work!

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I believe the cushion stuffing is excelsior, not straw.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I can say this about the second chair; the shape is extremely comfy to slouch in while watching tv; a friend of mine had one, exact, down to the striped fabric (I'd guess it is original to 1930). Even though it was so completely worn out/sat out, it fit the body shape perfectly.
    Casey

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u for the replies:). As far as the back of the first chair, definitely something USED to be there. I will look at the bottoms and get U the pic of the feet - any suggestions on what I should do with them? I thought of recovering the older one and using it for decoration and just leaving the striped one as it is

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Feet of stripped one - cannot find a name on it

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Underside of older one, again no markings:(

• danielle123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I reread that I should get the underside lol sorry for all the pics

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

the frame of both chairs are birch or maybe poplar stained to look like a more expensive wood . you probably won't find a makers mark in the wood. they were massed produced with a cardboard tag stuck in them in the mid 20th century. ( not "diss'n" the chairs) the fabric chair's recently been restored (it's a shame the arm got stripped.) can you get a detail shot on the black splat of the other?