Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

rabbit with horn

izzie
13 years ago

I found a rabbit figure I might buy but I am trying to find something about this figure. I did find the same figure but the one I want is cast in metal. this is a link to the exact same figure but cast in fiberglass.

Does anyone know anything about this figure?

Here is a link that might be useful: rabbit with horn

Comments (7)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Boy, when you said "rabbit with horn" I thought you meant a jackalope. Sorry, I'm of no use.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

He may be a rabbit, but those feet and boots look more like a donkey. He certainly is a domesticated animal.

• izzie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought it might be a Beatrix Potter rabbit/hare but I can't find anything on it. The one I found is cast bronze and is really better looking than the example, but the exact same sculpture. I think it's a rabbit in hunting clothes with a riding hat and bugle/french horn but can't find anything about it other than the "copy" in fiberglass example I found. Thank you for any ideas on what it is from.

• Fori
    13 years ago

He doesn't look Beatrix Pottery to me. I agree about the outfit. That rabbit is fox hunting, which I guess is ironic?

• someone2010
    13 years ago

How much is the one made of metal and where is it made? India does a lot of cast metal work for export these days but the castings are very poor. They look good in pictures, but when you get them they are poor quality. You can see these on ebay.

• lazypup
    13 years ago

That is a Hare (rabbit) dressed in hunting clothes.

While stationed in Germany from 1968 till 1972 I commonly saw variations of that figurine in the stores that sold Hummels, sporting good stores and at hunting clubs. While I don't have a clue as to its true significance I can only surmise it is either from German folklore or perhaps a spoof on hunters. All I know for sure is that it is common throughout western Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium.

• izzie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the item I was bidding on. It was starting to get higher than what I was willing to pay.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal rabbit