Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west4me_gw

ID- Vintage/retro 10 inch brass lamp? Danish Modern?

west4me
12 years ago

I can't even figure out what to call this other than a lamp :) No markings, took it apart to check. Hardware has been replaced. Feels Danish Modern, 50's-60's?

I can't figure out what to search for so I can't find any information online.

The lamp is 10 inches tall, the base is cast iron/pot metal?

{{gwi:1395082}}

Comments (8)

• lindac
    12 years ago

What hardware has been replaced? Is it brass? is the inside painted white?
    I wouldn't call it Danish Modern....not really refined enough for that....more MCM stuff.
    Linda C

• west4me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for asking such pointed questions. I believe the the lamp is aluminum with a brass finish. The inside is tinted with age but I think it is unfinished aluminum.

The socket, cord, and switch were replaced.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Does it hold a magnet?
    Thing is....the stuff that dates a lamp have been replaced.
    Perhaps we will just have to say "it is what it is"....and let it go at that.

• west4me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, magnet doesn't stick. Any estimate on date? or what to call it? Chalice lamp? Cup lamp? Just can't seem to narrow down my search results.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Tabletop torchiere?

• karinl
    12 years ago

Might be meant to be put up on top of a tall piece of furniture, or maybe to be attached to the ceiling to shine down? Does it swivel or turn? Can the base be taken apart?

Karin L

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

At present, that form is called an uplight. Don't know what they called it 50 years past.
    Casey

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think it is a variation of the type of lamp that was placed on top of a television set to create some ambient light bounced off the ceiling. All the other room lights would be turned off to avoid reflections on the screen and heighten contrast. --From back in the era of black and white sets

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Lamps.