Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID- Vintage/retro 10 inch brass lamp? Danish Modern?

Posted by west4me (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 17:22

I can't even figure out what to call this other than a lamp :) No markings, took it apart to check. Hardware has been replaced. Feels Danish Modern, 50's-60's?

I can't figure out what to search for so I can't find any information online.
The lamp is 10 inches tall, the base is cast iron/pot metal?
Angry face

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID- Vintage/retro 10 inch brass lamp? Danish Modern?

What hardware has been replaced? Is it brass? is the inside painted white?
I wouldn't call it Danish Modern....not really refined enough for that....more MCM stuff.
Linda C

o

Thank you for asking such pointed questions. I believe the the lamp is aluminum with a brass finish. The inside is tinted with age but I think it is unfinished aluminum.

The socket, cord, and switch were replaced.

o

Does it hold a magnet?
Thing is....the stuff that dates a lamp have been replaced.
Perhaps we will just have to say "it is what it is"....and let it go at that.

o

Nope, magnet doesn't stick. Any estimate on date? or what to call it? Chalice lamp? Cup lamp? Just can't seem to narrow down my search results.

o

Tabletop torchiere?

o

Might be meant to be put up on top of a tall piece of furniture, or maybe to be attached to the ceiling to shine down? Does it swivel or turn? Can the base be taken apart?

Karin L

o

At present, that form is called an uplight. Don't know what they called it 50 years past.
Casey

o

I think it is a variation of the type of lamp that was placed on top of a television set to create some ambient light bounced off the ceiling. All the other room lights would be turned off to avoid reflections on the screen and heighten contrast. --From back in the era of black and white sets

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Lamps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here