Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Time has passed for garage sales?

kittymoonbeam
9 years ago

I just participated in a neighborhood garage sale with 2 neighbors. We were up at 5 and had a wide variety of things. The yard and driveway were full of items. We had lots of nice stuff new and old and not just trash. Mostly what we got was people looking for 1 and 2 dollar items. Have all the higher value sales moved to online sales sites? People don't even bother to set up anymore. We used to have sales in the neighborhood through the year. I don't think I'll bother again. It was too much effort and I don't have anything to sell for a dollar.

One neighbor did well. She sold bags of tangerines and lemons for 2 dollars each.

We're near Disneyland in CA

Comments (9)

• debodun
    9 years ago

I am going through the same thing here in upstate NY. Most people have what I term "garage sale expectations." That is nothing at a garage sale should be over $1, even if it's a Ming vase. It's very frustrating. My philosophy is why should a Meissen figurine be $100 in an antique store, but hard to sell even at $2 at a garage sale? Some people are even abusive. I have many nice things that I inherited from both my mother's and father's sister's estates. Someone that stopped once commented that it looked liked like a dumpster exploded in my front yard. Make me wonder why he even stopped.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I'm in San Fernando Valley, lots of yard sales every week. I find that most people want basic things, stainless steel silverware, everyday dishes , tops, jackets & play clothes for the kids. People are anxious & not sure if they are getting their next paycheck so they are trying to survive. I live in an area of $300,000 up homes so people living around me are worried. Stores are constantly closing. Local dollar store closed up 2 weeks ago, if they can't make it who can. I don't know of anybody that thinks the economy has come back & things are great. College kids have a rough time getting their 1st job. Our thrift shops are busy. Lot of moms & grandmas looking for clothes for themselves & kids.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Yard sales are very popular here, I enjoy browsing at yard sales myself.
    When we have sales I find that many (not all) people want everything for almost nothing.
    I think it's the mentality of 'give me'. Not everyone. Many will pay what it's
    worth. Many will argue with us about a price (not the expected yard sale haggling). But actually get angry. Then they list all the things wrong with it.
    So I ask then, "why do you want it?" I've even had folks actually throw it back on the table or ground. We actually will sell the item to the next person at the original price. So we know we weren't over priced. We enjoy having sales, haggling, and making a few extra dollars. Leftovers are donated.
    Then there are also those who buy to resell. It may be the big swap meet every weekend or online sites. Once they buy it it is theirs.
    Yes, folks are interesting.
    So, it's Friday morning and the yard sales are getting up and running, I hope I find another great bargain.
    Karen

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Yard sales have ended here. Stopped by a wintery blast.

• anoriginal
    9 years ago

LOVE browsing yard sales. I look at items of interest with what I know they would cost in mind. Often look for "gimmicky" kitchen items (like infomercial stuff) that I'd NEVER buy full price.

HATE having yard sales! Usually feel a bit obligated to participate when neighbor starts organizing one... usually ONE per summer. Last one I had... had 3 "big ticket" items. I KNEW what they cost and even stuck pictures from online places. Had a LARGE dog crate... from sister who bought when her lab had hip surgery... big enough for about any dog shy of a St. Bernard. I KNOW she had to have spent at LEAST $150... I put PICTURE with cost and stick of $50 or BO. Had a pet door insert that went in a sliding door. I spent about $150... put same price on that... it had all the paperwork/instructions with it. Last was a wooden toboggan... could easily fit 6 people and we DO get snow in my area. Knew it cost about $150. Not a SINGLE nibble on any of those 3 items? I would have taken $20-30 for any of them.

When I got sufficiently BORED & aggravated... packed EVERYTHING into car and headed to Good Will to make a donation.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Our neighborhood yard sale last spring was a bust. Usually, I make between $100 and $200 dollars. This year, hardly any lookers and fewer buyers. I think I made about $5. Most stuff (not junk) didn't sell. I agree that most people are looking for exceedingly low prices on everything. I just decide what I really want to get rid of and what I am willing to bring back in if I don't sell it for the asking price. The sites like Krrb and CL also seem to cut into the interest in yard sales around here. Next year, not joining in-too much effort for too little gain. :(

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I love the following story from an estate sale of my parents things a few years ago.

My sister had priced this hand trowel at $2. Before a buyer was interested, I had yet to see it.

Well, a possible buyer brought this shovel to me and asked if I would take .25 cents for it. I was shocked...this thing had never been used! Plus, I could tell that it was an oldie, but goodie. The stamped label was clear and crisp. I couldn't believe that my sister had only $2 on it. I would have put $5 on it. I pointed all this out to the buyer, and stood firm on the price.

Well.....

The woman kept the shovel and then walked up to my sister and asked the same thing...25 cents? Before my sister could answer, I walked up, grabbed it out of the woman's hands and turned to my sister and said..."I think I will keep this. I'll give you $2." The look on that woman's face was priceless! I know it was tacky of me, but she made me so darn mad.

This shovel has indeed been an "oldie, but goodie." The label is now worn, so I cannot read the maker, but it is sturdy and sure brings back memories of that garage sale day.

Our sale went pretty well. What we didn't keep or sell, went to Habitat for Humanity. Another thing that I could not get over was the stealing, or trying to steal of items.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stealing? Right out in plain view? That's terrible.

We went to Denmark just a few years ago. Even in Copenhagen at 11 at night, people leave bikes outside stores or during dinner. No locks at all. Stores leave items on tables out. No problems. Things are clean in the city. No one leaves trash. People are nice to Americans and most speak english. I wish we could get that spirit going here.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Yes, stealing. Ploys like..."My mother is out in the car, may I go show her this item?" We would never see that person again, or the item. Others would place small objects in their purses, etc. Some would just walk off with an item and never look back.

We travel to Europe quite often. Some of the larger cities actually have a bad reputation for stealing, especially pic-pocketing. We were in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Helsinki and Stockholm in May. As you mentioned, we felt much safer in those cities.