Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

100 plus tatted? Lace Throw info Please

This was made by a great gm of mine over 100 years ago. My Gran called it a tatted piece. I searched with no results here for that term. I'd like to know more about it, and if I dare wash it. It's a lovely, fragile thing that has been draped over one chair or another for over forty years in my home.
Thanks for any info you may have!
Marti

Comments (10)

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I'm surprised your search turned up nothing for "tatted" -- you might try "tatting" instead.

Tatting is kind of sort of like hook-free crocheting crossed with cat's cradle. It produces a lovely, lacey product and is often used for edgings and smaller items. Your throw would have taken an astonishing amount of time to complete, so it is quite a treasure, if it is indeed tatting. Could we see a closer shot of the stitches?

I took a tatting class once and was a notable failure at it, therefore have immense respect for anyone who can do it well.

As to whether it can be washed or not, that depends on how strong the cotton thread is. It would need to be handled carefully and blocked after washing. It might be wise to check with a cleaner who specializes in lace tablecloths.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only searched here. Google comes next. Here's another pic....thanks for your reply!

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the other pic.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Could we see an extreme close up of one of the circular motifs?

Original Author
    9 years ago

How is this?

• justlinda
    9 years ago

Looks like crochet to me, single crochet and chains. But a very nice piece at any rate.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I agree with Linda that this looks more like crochet, although the loops could be tatting. The chains are too loose to be tatting, IMO.

Here's an article with pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia on tatting

• voila
    9 years ago

It looks like Cro-tatting, which is crochet and tatting. It looks like some damage is apparent. I wonder if it is possible to repair? I would not wash it in this state of needing repair, as it may cause it to unravel more.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much. Yes, there are a few damaged areas. Perhaps a knitting shop could refer someone to make repairs. It's a lovely thing to me,.....so soft and supple, unlike most lace.
    Of course the sentiment of it being made by my gt. Gran is wonderful. I also have a crazy quilt she and a few friends made. All in velvet's and taffetas, with wonderful stitchery that told stories : lacy spiders, a tiny horse and buggy, etc, joining the prices, along with the date and initials. I find It sad that these very special hand made pieces have so little value.
    My home is filled with antique furniture and whatnots. I hope this might be a place to learn more about them? I hope to leave the info for my family when I someday float away. :-)
    Thanks again for your help on this piece.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

It's lovely & looks like crochet & tatting. GF tatted a small bookmarker & it took her several weeks as she found it difficult to do the tatting work. It is very time consuming. I would love to see that quilt, some are worth hundreds of dollars & if in good shape you certainly want to pass it down. Hope it is in tissue paper & not a plastic bag!