Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goat69

Is this an Original Globe Bar?

goat69
14 years ago

Hi all, hopepfully someone can help me identify how old this globe bar is? Based on the casters, not your typical cheap plastic wheels, but rather steel wheels I'm thinking the bar could be original. At least more than 25 years old. Anyone recognize the globe and year it was made? Thanks all!

Comments (14)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Original???
    Those things have been made in all different "qualities" and different variations on the theme. 25 years old? likely....but something from 1984 hardly qualifies as an antique.
    It looks like it's a fairly nice quality bar hidden on a globe...a novelty piece.
    Looks to me like about $150 to possibly $200...depending on where you would sell it.

• justlinda
    14 years ago

Haven't checked out these, but there's a whole gamut of these you can sort through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Globe/Bars on eBay

• goat69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's just it.. I don't know how old it is. 25 years was just a guess, I'm hoping it's older. I checked ebay and none look quite like mine, none have the same base as mine nor the wheels.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Perhaps you can use how Countries/locations are named on the globe to help you arrive at a date. Might take a awhile to unravel, but check this out: Dating World Globes

• lindac
    14 years ago

And what would 25 years one way or the other have to do with it?
    If you really want an estimate, post a close up of pictures of the wheels and any kind of marks or joinery you see.
    The location and boundyes of countries have little to do with the age....because something pretending to be old would use the old boundrys for countries.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I can see how a repro would perhaps make one or two obvious changes to country names or boundaries. But can't see a manufacturer covering every last layer of change, too much time consumed for mass production. IOW if they wanted to fake a 100 yr old globe, or even a 40 yr old globe, that would be a lot of name changes and quite a few boundary divisions or acquisitions to cover for accuracy. But who knows, maybe someone did go to the trouble.

(If it were my globe, I'd still be checking out names and comparing for accuracy.) goat69, can you take and post close up pics at different angles? :-)

• lindac
    14 years ago

A "globe bar" is not meant for accuracy....but for novelty. YOU can buy reproductions of globes from other periods. The boundarys of certain countrys means nothing.
    The "globe bars" I have seen were all made from a globe representing the world as seen in another time.
    I think that what you are not understanding is that a real, original globe of the world as seen in an earlier time would not have been made into a bar.
    A floor globe was a not uncommon accessory in an office or a den in the 50's and perhaps earlier. A globe bar is a "clever" way of hiding a little booze and some glasses in plain sight...it's not an item of antique furniture.
    Does the globe spin on it's axis? if not that's proof that the globe was made to house a bar and not be used to refrence country locations.
    Linda

• goat69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your input. will post more pics of the wheels and details of the globe..

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I see your points linda.
    And I'm not into globes, or liquor, or globes that hold liquor, so I won't pretend to have any knowledge about them. (Well, I take part of that back, I do like to look at globes sometimes, but that's about as far as my interest goes.)
    Simply conversing & expressing my thoughts here.

• darenka
    14 years ago

Moon, I thought it was a pretty clever idea--of course I had the same one so I am biased on the 'clever' portion of that statement. I've never stumbled across that website you shared so thanks much for that link. I'm quite fond of old maps and as they sometimes get seperated from the book they were originally published in, it's nice to have an easier reference tool to use. (I just have some of the name/boundary changes blazed in my memory.)

And if the poster buys another, or has a globe at home, I guess they could be considered 'collectibles' so it's all good.

• lindac
    14 years ago

People collect old globes all the time....my DH was into old maps. And there are available on the web all sorts of repros of historically correct globes as wall as real antique globes.
    And I suppose that there are globe bars with a Mercator globe or another projection.

Here is a link that might be useful: globe bar

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Moon, I thought it was a pretty clever idea--of course I had the same one so I am biased on the 'clever' portion of that statement.
    LOL! Thanks ;D
    And you're welcome for the link!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Here is one on my local CL. It was listed the other day for $100, and now reduced to $80. Don't know the age.

Here is a link that might be useful: CL Globe Bar

• Hawaii_f_o_hoymail_com
    12 years ago

I have a similar globe I got from my grandmother same base different globe I'm trying to date this globe and have had little luck cool globe