Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smcdrmtt

Antique dining set - where to start...

smcdrmtt
12 years ago

We need to sell an four piece antique dining set given to us by a grandparent (who claims it was Kittinger). The furniture doesn't fit in our new house which has a dining room with built-ins.

Any ideas of what it's worth or how to trace origins? We can't find any markings on it anywhere (no "Kittinger") but can check again if there are any tips on where to look.

See all 4 photos here

{{gwi:1394844}}

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

That's another 1930-ish set...only you have the whole set! See the thread
    It appears to me to have been creatively refinished at one time....it's very very nice but not likely Kittinger unless you can find the stamp...look on the inside of a drawer.
    Kittinger did produce finishes to order but it wasn't common.
    Before you sell it, consider that you will likely never find another like it and it is your grandparents'.
    That style is becoming increasingly sought after....as it becomes nearer and nearer antique...
    You might hope to get $2200 for it....or maybe not.
    Any appraisals on this site are worth just what you pay for them!!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial revival table

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I paid $2500 for my set, 2 years ago. All pieces, like your set. All in very good condition. Mine does not have nice upholstery, like yours, though: vinyl. I have not gotten around to replacing it. The pickling treatment looks a bit strange on yours, but it still looks to be in wonderful shape. Mine is walnut.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I guess my son really got a deal! He paid $125 for the table w/original Walnut finish, and in very good shape. I found what appear to be the original matching chairs(only 5)on craigslist 2 months later, and they were $75 each, also a great buy. He's planning to recover them since they have very worn vinyl(original??)seats. It's a very sturdy set.

He did a little touching up w/stain pen, but that's it. No big gouges or nicks. ;o)

12 years ago

I forgot to say that mine is Jacobean revival too. One of the issues with antique/vintage sets like these is, that often you find the set has been broken up. You will find the table alone, or table and chairs, etc., with no buffet or other pieces. I looked for over a year before buying mine. I passed up many because I definitely wanted a buffet. I didn't want to have put together a set of similar pieces. I paid more than I budgeted because I was so happy to find an intact set. I didn't need the small buffet or the china cabinet, but I was so happy to find a whole set, that I figured I would put those pieces in somewhere.

You might find that someone like me also is willing to pay a premium to have the intact set.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I like the pickling, and it looks factory-done to me. But I think the set is newer than the 1930s for that reason. I actually have a dining set that is sort of early MCM Imperial Loyalist (that's a Canadian hard rock maple line) (actually Imperial Contemporary I think) that is done in a similar finish, and it is definitely original to the piece. I am almost sure it is more late 60s, early 70s, although the store I bought it from thought older.

If the grandparents had it, perhaps the OP knows when they might have bought it. Such a nice change from dark wood in a set like this. And the upholstery is perfect with it. If my grandparents had left me anything this good, you wouldn't be able to pry it from my cold dead hands! I have my grandmother's coffee grinder...

I'd use the pieces as bedroom or office furniture if I had to to keep it :-) Or store it until my children are setting up house, and let them have it on condition of careful handling.

On the other hand, if you can let stuff like this go, your house is likely a lot emptier than mine :-)

Karin L

12 years ago

Yes, if the pickling is not factory done, it is darn near perfect.