Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivanmurphy_gw

Help Identifying Era and Style of Couch

ivanmurphy
11 years ago

Thank you in advance for your help. We are trying to establish the style and approximate age of this couch. It has been re-upholstered but i did take some staples out to find some markings but didn't want to go too far. It is definately old due to the construction i was able to see.

Is this also something we should hold on to or not much unique value?

I did post this in furniture but it was suggested i move over here - sorry for duplicate.

Comments (6)

• Fori
    11 years ago

The front legs look '20s Egyptian revivalish don't they? Do the front legs match the back?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Fori I agree and here is what I wrote in the Furniture forum

...the arms make this sofa a form I would identify as Egyptian Revival. There were several eras of Egyptian Revivals corresponding to new discoveries in Egypt and the pyramids.
    The tall, very erect back makes me want to put it in the period of the late 19th c.,(1880s) rather than the Egyptian Revival in the 1920s. In any case, to my knowlege while there are a fair number of Egyptian Revival artifacts, the furniture (other than thebes stools and klismos chairs) is pretty rare, as is the architecture. The periods were short.

• ivanmurphy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No - the back legs are smooth with no detail except at the top. We live in a 1890's home in Chicago but our taste is more mid-century modern.
    Do you think this would get much if we sold it or does it have more personal value.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It depends on a number of factors including condition of upholstery and comfort, to some degree. Is the finial to the right broken or just covered?

If there is a lot of housing stock of similar era with pretty intact interior details, I think there would be some interest in it, particularly if the houses are large enough that this would be a secondary sofa if it's not comfortable by modern standards. The value would be what someone is willing to pay for it in your area.

If it is an important maker the value could be higher.

Personally it has a combination of spareness and detail that I think would mix well with mid-century stuff.

• ivanmurphy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the fact it has been re-upholstered and needs to be done again would decrease the value - the fenial is not broken just in bubble wrap. We would like to keep it however space is an issue and the height/width makes this very difficult to move through doorways.

What a great community you all are part of!!! - thanks for the help.

• Fori
    11 years ago

On the other hand, the fact that it does need reupholstering means you can do it in something stylish and comfortable. It's so weird it'll look good anywhere!