Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sennatrix

antique candle chandelier circa 1600s Quebec

sennatrix
14 years ago

Hi

i have an antique hand-carved, 12-branch chandelier - uses candles, i believe it dates around the colonisation of Quebec (circa 1600's). my guess would be french. wood balls and candle holders and maybe plaster for the center (but prob. wood). iron arms. has been re-painted in the original colours (green and gold leaf). can't find anything that resembles it on the internet. would gladly send or post a pic. would love for antique lighting experts to give me a ballpark figure as to value.

you can email me directly at info@melboro.ca

thanks!!

Hilda

Comments (10)

• sennatrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

how do i post a picture on this page or in 'my page'?

• sennatrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this is a link to a picture but can send it by email also

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Why do you think it's that old?

• lindac
    14 years ago

Nothing about that chandelier indicates to me it's 17th century...or even 18th century.
    What do you know that we don't?

{{gwi:1394624}}

• sennatrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i have no proof of age or provenance really - just guessing, based on where purchased (QC) and more on the 'look'. if my memory serves me, it might have come from a church or manse...my mother purchased this about 45 years ago from an estate and i remember it was in pretty bad shape (paint) - this was close to same green and gold as the original - she actually repainted over the original colour (!!! OMG !!!). but because bought in QC, and QC is roughly 400 years old, is what i based my assumption on. nothing else. but have looked all over the net for something even similar and nothing comes close.

i can send .jpg by email if you want so you can see closer up than on photobucket...

• sennatrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just found this - similar in style to mine - mine was repainted but this one seems to have the original finish. the style with the 'balls' on the branches and the shape of the candle-holders. This one is more ornate but very similar...

What do you think? Could mine be Italian (I had thought French because of location of purchase...)?

Here is a link that might be useful: similar chandelier

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I think it isn't nearly as ornate as the one linked. It's pleasant and maybe 20th century.

• sennatrix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, ideefixe

i agree, the linked one is much more ornate, just similar styles... i'm grasping at straws, here. i think you're right, late 19th or early 20th...
    i really have no clue...i just wish i'd paid more attention when my mother mentioned it (duh!!)

• karinl
    14 years ago

I'm no expert but to me these two chandeliers are totally different. The OP one is not wired and in fact could not be wired, because the arms are just rod or wire almost, not hollow to allow wires. It looks to me therefore to either predate both gas and electric, or be made just as a candle holder more recently.

To me the hints would be in the details that show the construction methods. How would they have done wood turning in the 1600s? Or in the 1800s for that matter? How is the wire hook inserted in the top (assume the chain is newer)? and what is with the centre bottom of the thing?

KarinL

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

You don't need a motor to turn wood on a lathe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Turning