Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O'Keefe and Merritt stove: date?

Posted by socalsis (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 13:39

I've just acquired my first O'Keefe and Merritt stove, and am fascinated at the numbers of different models and types there are out there. I have never found one that looks like mine; I know a photo would help but it's currently inaccessible while it's in transition.

I think it must be early 60's. It's a white 36" range with an oven on the right side, with a window in the door, and broiler; the other side is storage. NO Grillevator. It has 4 burners and central griddle. The low back is glass-fronted, with geometrical designs; there's a square clock incorporated into the glass design on the right, and the O'K and M logo is worked into the design on the left.

In all of my searching I've never seen one with the kind of glass 'backsplash'(??) as mine has. Does anyone have any information about this late model O'Keefe and Merritt?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O'Keefe and Merritt stove: date?

Some of the old models had folding a folding glass shelf in back, are you sure the glass is a backsplash? If it is a fold-down shelf, then it's the DeVille series.

o

I was just told by a service person from Antique Stove Heaven in Los Angeles that the folding glass shelf started in 1958-1959 & continued into the 1960s.

Here is a link to a search in Google. Many of the sites have photos of the OK&M stoves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search on O'Keefe and Merritt

o

Here is a pic of my stove. The glass "backsplash" (what's that called on a stove??) is not part of a folding shelf-- it's firmly fixed in place.

Any help with identifying year and model would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: O'Keefe and Merritt stove

o

For many years, I managed regional distribution centers for Tappan Appliance Co. Tappan aquired O'Keefe and Merritt, a California based company sometime around 1960. The gas range pictured, and similar models, were actually produced into the early 70s. I suspect the OPs range dates into the mid-60s. There should be a plate on the range, perhaps on the back, that gives the model number. It might be something similar to 1046-00.

o

I cannot find my model of stove anywhere. it has 4 burners and storage on the right side.I believe the model is a sculpture series.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here