Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for Refinish/Restore Deco-Moderne Bedroom Needed

Posted by detroit_burb (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 12:11

I wanted to thank the responders to my original thread on this topic

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/antiques/msg0921290130082.html?11

I have lightly sanded off what appears to be a poorly done more recent shellac with an amber cast, this shellac encased some earlier damage. I don't believe the original finish was amber. No new damage was done with sanding.

Here is where I am now - pictures below. I don't know whether to just recoat with blonde shellac at this point, or to just paint with high quality paint because of the damage pictured. I am not sure how to fill in the damage, if I paint, I may just paint over it. I am also not quite sure of choice of coatings - brands and types.

The style would look good painted or refinished. The purpose is my infant daughter's room, and I am hoping this to be her long term furniture, i.e. I don't intend on a baby furniture look, rather a classic look. There are two other pieces not pictured, a night table and vanity (which is in the linked post), but my first concern is being able to put her clothes away, and have a functional guest bed.

All comments are welcome... Thank-you all!!

Tall Dresser post sanding, still dusty
Photobucket

Tall Dresser damage
Photobucket

Tall Dresser Damage
Photobucket

Headboard, not sanded, note amber cast
Photobucket

Headboard damage
Photobucket

Headboard Damage
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for Refinish/Restore Deco-Moderne Bedroom Needed

That's not damage -- that's patine!

I would simply shellac, lacquer, or varnish it first. Some of the "damage" will disappear. The chipped drawers do not bother me at all.

If you then decide you cannot tolerate the flaws, you could later paint it. The additional layer of shellac would make it easier to strip the paint later, should you change your mind.

o

The "damage" to the headboard will be covered by the bedding....and the small nicks in the drawers are as Chibi saya "patina".
If you paint it, it will look like something you got in a thrift shop, and painted...or that was already painted. If you coat it with a clear coat, it will look like a classic Hollywood deco set.
And I would use varnish as it's harder wearing than either shellac or lacquer....and probably is what was originally on the set.
Can't wait to see the finished product....but please don't paint it!!
Linda C

o

I agree--it's fine! Maybe get a really light stain pen for the spots that are light on the top part of the headboard so they don't stick out as much, then use a nice hard finish like Linda suggests. Kids are hard on things. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here