Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raetaylor

dating this table..... HELP??

raetaylor
12 years ago

This is a double leaf table, on the underside supports the rails have saw marks. The table has veneer inlay on the two fold up sides. Looks like bun feet and heavy turned posts. Any ideas??

Comments (11)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I can't see veneer inlay.....perhaps a close up would help?
    Everything I see says 1930's....from the pictures, it looks like oak. Better pictures would tell more.
    Linda C

• pris
    12 years ago

Looks like a gate leg table but as lindac says better pictures with more detail would help. They need to see construction details and clear unobstructed views of all surfaces.

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a link to some other pics.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10961580@N08/sets/72157628181742807/

I know this table has had work over the years... random empty screw holes, hinges have been moved, looks like some braces for the underside of the drop leafs have been resupported, a few stray nails, and glue added in weird places. Who knows what else.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Wow.....very strange....hard to tell just what it is we are seeing.
    Plainly there is some oak veneer that is in bad shape....and there seems to be some wide pine boards. The bun feet appear to be added.
    My guess is it was a hall or sofa table that someone added bun feet to and then took a couple of leaves and the gate legs from another table and put it together to make what you have....The balusters on the legs look to be from another piece and to have been spliced in.
    Impossible to give a "date' as it's a cobbled together piece from others of different time periods.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was a thought i had as well. When I got the table it had been in a old barn for years covered with dirt, bird droppings and random filth. It had been moved from back east with an estate of a deceased relative of the previous owner. It was stored in the barn... until i bought it. I only paid 10.00 dollars. I do know that when this was assembled it had to be early. The same nails (which are old) are used thoughout the entire table. I guess I need to do some more research! Thanks for your help Linda :)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Some parts are early....Most of it likely 1930'ish....
    But it's been so badly cobbled, I'm not sure if it's even worth $10

• calliope
    12 years ago

I spy a label on one of those pictures of the underside of the table. How about sharing with us what it says?

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes calilope,, there is a lable... its a very old allied van moving lable. The lable is about 1950 ish from what i can find online, which matches what the previous owner said about when the estate was moved. Good eye... I didnt even realize it was in one of the pics!
    Linda, the reason I bought it was i had intentions of removing the balusters to use in a project, but after cleaning it the color was so pretty that i think i may just make the table a project as well! Beside what the heck can you buy for 10 bucks these days? I think I got a deal because the new balusters i priced for my project were 25 and up! Im just happy to know that because it was someone elses project im not going to ruin anything original! Thanks a bunch for your help!

• lindac
    12 years ago

You're right....I think the balusters are worth $10....they look like mahogany....and I think they would be easily removed without a saw.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Please get a second opinion about carving this table up before you do it. It's not in the best of shape and it's obvious that there has been a lot of cobbling on it, but I'm not convinced it's a hodgepodge of various tables or that it's as new as presented. There are certain things about it that imply all the parts are historically accurate in their styles and go together.

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks calliope... i wont be hacking it up anytime soon... as i said.. I found the color very warm and aged and am thinking of having it repaired. I love the way it is space-saver! But gets larger if you need the additional table space... there is just something about it, cobbled or not, im growing attached to! On your advice, I will continue doing research!