Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbo59_gw

What is this - an old bedhead?

timbo59
10 years ago

I recently found this item in the garage of a house we bought. I have no idea what it is. Could it be a built-in bedhead, or something from over a mantlepiece? The glass section across the top has a long incandescent light bulb mounted behind it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (4)

• calliope
    10 years ago

It's probably fairly new, that being a subjective term. IOW not antique, I'd say seventies looking. The term for the part of furniture at the head of the bed frame is headboard. ;-) Not trying to correct you so much as if you ask someone else, so they know what you are referring to. I dunno what it is, but sure looks from the picture like is sits atop something else, like you said.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It's a headboard from the late 1960s or early 1970s at the very earliest. Its kind of country-hippy-Holly Hobbie fushion.

• dees_1
    10 years ago

It appears to be a headboard from a waterbed set. Post 1970 for sure; most likely from late 80s early 90s.

It would have bolted on to the waterbed frame from underneath, probably using L brackets.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

My old boyfriend's waterbed headboard!

BTW, those things were usually really SOLID pine, so if you need some sturdy shelving, take it apart.