Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deadpoetnj

Arts & Crafts Style Bench

deadpoetnj
14 years ago

Can someone help me identify the age\value of this item. I like that it looks similar to a Stickly piece, but I know it's not. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench photos

Comments (11)

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's just your basic mission oak bench...likely from the 1920's or 30's.
    Very well used looks like it came from a public building...perhaps a train station or a library?
    Worth? Around here maybe $40 as is.
    Linda C

• calliope
    14 years ago

Does the cushion lift up revealing the type of suspension underneath? If it doesn't, can you peer up underneath and see? Or is it solid bench? Is it real leather?

As Linda implies, I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary, but it looks solid, I like the lines, and as far as the wood part of it goes, looks like it could be easily refinished and make a nice addition to a home. That's also probably what I'd pay for it as it is since I find benches handy in my old home, and use a lot of oak.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I don't know about the value, as its a regional thing, but here in the Northeast you wouldnt see it for less than $100 anywhere, unless there were something structurally wrong with it.

I think we're talking more around 1910-15. By the Sesquicentennial even Stickley had shifted to grafting Colonial Revival details onto their pieces. American Arts and Crafts of this sort was dying out by the twenties.
    The through tenon with the pyramidal top disappeared in the teens as far as I know, and it would have been flush with the arm if the piece were later.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Maybe the Mission style is too ubiquitous here in the mid west to have a lot of value. Well I remember the bus station here with benches like that in the waiting room.
    If it had something different and neat, it would bring more...but no drawer, the arrangement of the slats is very ordinary...and it needs a fair amount of work.
    Refinished with a new cushion I would bet you could get $150 here.
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I like that it looks similar to a Stickly piece, but I know it's not.

Did you see this Stickley bench on eBay? (and *gulp* the asking price). They have a detailed photo of the underside too - might be handy for reference.

In my area (Chicago) your bench would probably start at min $75, if not more like $100.

• deadpoetnj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moonshadow, thanks a lot for your post. Maybe I should have turned the bench over. Even if it's not the real deal, it sure looks just like it. I didn't even take a rag to the piece, I think if it was polished, that alone would make it look a lot better. Now I am really interested to see if the seating area is a solid piece of wood like the one on ebay. I will take more photos and update the link.

Thanks again.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Notice the difference in design details...in proportions, in the number of back splats and the additional little support on the arm. The real deal looks a lot more "stylish" to me.
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

You're very welcome, deadpoetnj! I just happened to see it and noticed that tho it's not exactly like yours, there are some very close similarities. (Look closely, you'll see the differences.) I'm kind of curious how the underside compares. Yours might well not be a Stickley, but just thought comparing the real thing to what you have is a good tool for examining subtle similarities and differences as a point of reference and a tool for learning! ;) I'm not a Stickley collector, so am following along here and learning too! ;)

• deadpoetnj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the updated link to the bench photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench Photos

• joyce_6333
    14 years ago

This is a signed Limbert piece which I see you've now put on ebay. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Limbert Bench on Ebay

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

So you did find more on it? Great!
    I read the auction, are all the pieces you were inquiring about from that same house that was torn down? Wow, what a find!

Good luck with your auction!