Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopmom_gw

Clearing my basement and ready to sell...(help needed)

hopmom
12 years ago

I'm getting ready to post my inherited bedroom set on CL (I posted pics a while back for some input on it). Does $450 for the set seem reasonable? Too low, too high?

I did contact some local antique dealers and have been told that the market is not great for larger pieces right now -- so not much interest there.

Description: 1930s vintage walnut bookmatched bedroom set includes:

Dresser with mirror (dresser feet with metal casters)

Double door chifferobe with 3 inside drawers and metal casters on feet

Full-sized coribelle style bed (head board, footboard and side rails) -- unique curved foot board

Chair and luggage rack with caned seats

Mahogany veneer himidor (can be used as a side table) -- includes inside metal box with insert for sponge.

photos:

Comments (9)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I think $400 is way too low.....but realize that it's a double bed.......and case goods are hard to sell right no.
    Think you would get more $$ if you pieced it out......That humidore will likely bring more than the dresser.
    Linda C

• hopmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lindac:

What do you think someone might pay? I really have no idea of its value.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I would say about $150.....just a guess you u derstand.

• calliope
    12 years ago

The beds, especially the semi-corbeille styles are hard to fit with modern mattresses and tend to go wanting. It's a pretty little suit but like Linda says, I'd at least try to move the tobacco stand by itself, they're hot items in my area. That might take the sting off not getting what the bedroom suite is worth. I'm particulary fond of 30s styles, and I think their time in the sun is fast approaching if you can hold on to them awhile. What you can expect to get is so driven by locality.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input. I just polished it all with some lemon oil -- and it looks great. We are about to start some renovating and need to clear out some space so the time has come to give it up. I did use the set at one point in my guest room and I don't remember any issues with using a full-sized mattress and bedding with the bed.

The top of the dresser is cracking and flaking a bit -- but with a runner (or refinishing) it would be fine.

When I post it, I'll put a price for the whole set (because it would be nice to unload it all at once) and prices for each individual piece. Any input on how you might price it appreciated (understanding every market is different).

Thanks again!

• Fori
    12 years ago

I don't suppose you're in MY area are you? I like it! :)
    The CL sets I've seen don't have the cane pieces--as a CL browser (I need a bedroom set) I've never seen those.

I agree nobody appreciates these things (based on asking prices anyway). I think they're undervalued.

The humidor isn't really part of the set is it? Looks okay with it but different legs.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fori -- I'm in the MA area -- are you nearby?

No, the humidor is not part of the set -- it's mahogany, but the finish is very close in color. I think I'll post it separately.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Wrong coast. :)

I think posting the humidor separately is a good idea--especially since smoking in bed is now frowned upon.

• calliope
    12 years ago

You are going to reach a varied audience by listing it on CL. Some folks are just looking for a 'cheap' set and think of it as 'old furniture'. There are, however, collectors who frequent the lists too and they'll know what you have and be willing to pay a fair price.

The smoking stand is NICE. I think Linda is spot on as to what it would bring at $150. Most people under the age of sixty five would not even know smoking stands exist but I think it would be ashamed to give away a nice one with the humidor for much less than that.

The bed? Again.........I have one and I have a modern mattress on mine, but not one of those poofy jobs. My matress just squeezes into the footboard and you practically need a shoehorn to change linens. I gave a 1930s set to my step-daughter because it belonged to her g'mother and I thought she'd consider it special. She could not find a mattress to fit it. It went all the way to Texas, so we didn't send the original mattress with it. You can still find mattresses for them, but it has to be 'just the right' one. The one I have in my bedroom is very like your set, only mine is fancier and carved. It went for $40 at an auction fifteen years ago. You just can't move them here.

The armoire is lovely. I'd think it's the most desireable item in the set. Unfortunately, they tend to get carved on and repurposed as entertainment centers. It might bring up to $250 here to the right person. Prolly fetch more like $150 and that is way too low for what it's really worth. The caned items don't move in my area very well. The dresser by itself also would not bring what it's worth......perhaps $150. So, really in this area $400 for the set (without the smoker) is not so out of line. I have absolutely no clue what prices are like on the East Coast or New England. Should be higher than here. Our area is saturated in vintage furniture. Good luck...........I really like the set.