Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Fair dinnerware set

Posted by debodun (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 9:40

I found a set of china in a cabinet over the fridge covered in decades of dust. It has a transfer pattern on it in red ink. On the bottom of the pieces it says "Strawberry Fair. Johnson Brothers. Made in England." Included in this set are a creamer and open sugar, 11 cups, 10 saucers, a gravy boat, platter, 12 bread plates, 7 small (berry?)bowls, 7 large soup bowls, 12 luncheon plates, 12 dinner plates, round vegetable (berry?) bowl, small oval bowl and a large oval bowl. I looked at several pieces on Ebay and the prices are astronomical. I'd never get those prices here in upstate New York. What would be a reasonable price I could expect for this set?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Fair dinnerware set

Check out www.replacements.com and www.silverqueen.com to get a better price idea. E-bay is populated by people overpricing their wares to get rich quick, imho.

o

You won't get much from Replacements, Inc. But the Ebay listings aren't very pricey. Why do you think they're astronomical?

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Fair on Ebay

o

Replacements has to pay for their services...hence they buy cheap and sell high.
The very best indicator of the worth of an item is what it has sold for on Ebay. If things are "over priced by people trying to get rich quick" there must be a lot of people willing to pay the price or the items wouldn't sell.
The best indicator ofs elling price....it what an item has recently sold for.
Anyone here ever subscribe to "The antiques Trader"...that weekly publication had pages and pages of what items sold for in recent auctions. That function is now filled by Ebay.
Linda C

o

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That is why ebay is the best guide. You can go in to completed auctions and see what your item has sold for and that will tell you about what it is worth.

o

Dear debodun
I found this site and your posting by searching the internet for Johnson Brothers Strawberry Fair dish sets. I want to buy the set for my mother for Christmas. She wants the set because they remind her of the dishes her mother had when she was a child. I would be interested in arranging a payment for the entire set. I live in Brooklyn, NY so a pick up may also be arranged. My email address is starkett@yahoo.com. Thanks and I hope to hear from you- Jenny

o

i am very interested in your collection,plez respond at your convenience...thanxs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here