Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
and just a really old kitchen knife

Posted by bowlman (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 9:16

that belonged to my german great grandmother. It still gets used.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: and just a really old kitchen knife

Not so old...I have or had one like that...dated to the 1920.
Linda C

o
knife

It sure looks older then 1920's. Here are a few other's. The bottom knife has a bone handle.

Photobucket

o

I have one just like that too. It belonged to my great grandfather. It's hard to date one like that very narrowly, because the style and mode of manufacture didn't change much over the years.

o

The third one down from the top is a revamped Beet Knife! the hook was removed and the end ground into a point. I have 2 just like that one, My grandfather made them. I also have 3 with the hooks still on and 3 Beet hoe's as well. Sugar Beets were a big money crop here in the early 1900's till around 1970's. Then farmers stopped growing them. ?

o

Isn't it fun to still be using something from a great grand-or grandparent! I have several utensils and knives from my grandmother and it is so nice to use them-always smile when I do!

o

yes agree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here