Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Painting

Posted by deadpoetnj (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 8:47

I can see the year, but does anyone know this artist? The frame and painting are extremely light weight. Since the frame is so lightweight, I don't know what the material is. Any idea how much this might be worth? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of painting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Painting

Looks like a souvenir of someone's Grand Tour in 1877. I think it's a copy of some Renaissance work, done by an Italian artist.

o

I agree with Ideefixe about the painting being someone's Grand Tour souvenier. In this case, I believe it's from Florence (Firenze). Some of those have become quite valuable, so it's worth looking into.

After looking at the signature closely, I googled Luigi Bigazzi and found some information. Apparently there was an Italian artist of that name born in 1814, so the timelines look like they might fit. And on Artline, there's a painting done by an artist of that name (oil on cardboard) that strongly resembles yours that sold at auction in 1999.

That should certainly be enough to get you started --

Here is a link that might be useful: Bigazzi on Artnet

o

sweeby, are you a member of artnet?

It's a very beautiful painting, and I like the Grand Tour story...Firenze, grand tour---says to me A Room with a View :)

o

I'm not a member Fly.
Thought about doing a 'Demo', but might need it myself one day.

And since the OP hasn't checked back in...

o

Thank you for the heads up. I don't know anyone with an Artnet account. I wonder if I could find someone with an account to see how much that one you mentioned sold for in 1999. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here