Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrnacubeb

vintage dining table - need help identifying period/era/style/woo

MyrnaCubeb
12 years ago

So glad to have found you guys here on this corner of the web!

This dining table was a cheap CL find, isn't in the best cosmetic shape (but is structurally sound), and I love the overall look of it. Not knowing a thing about antique furniture or historical design in general, I'm hoping for some help in figuring out the era/period/style/wood, etc. of this particular table.

There are two maker's mark tag thingamajigs, one showing it was made by THE CHATTANOOGA FURNITURE CO., the other too peeled off to make anything out (see pics, links below). The table base has got incredibly heavy legs with flat-curvy stretchers and separates into two L shapes. The tabletop has short metal dowels that sink down into simple holes in the two leg sections, and the heft of the tabletop's weight keeps it from moving much once settled properly onto the legs. I've included links to pics of all this stuff (with the assistance, you'll notice, of my zombie cat, Hopi).

It's not an example of especially intricate craftsmanship compared to some vintage pieces I've seen, so I'm not sure it was ever worth a lot of $, but I find its look lively and charming. It's way more interesting than any dining table we've ever had before!

Questions...

>> What period/era would this style of furniture fit into?

>> Any guesses on how old it is?

>> What's your best guess on the kind of wood it might be, based on the supplied impossibly fuzzy phone pics of the wood grain?

>> Since no chairs came with it, what kinds of (vintage? modern?) chairs would you suggest to make a cute dining set out of it?

>> Any thoughts on easy DIY refinishing, or shall I let her remain endearingly 'distressed'?

Thanks for all help, ideas, and wild guesses!

Here is a link that might be useful: same dining table photos (on imgur.com)

Comments (51)

• calliope
    12 years ago

Agree completely.

• MyrnaCubeb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, LindaC and calliope.

LindaC, that was an awesome post full of great info!

I particularly enjoyed the article in your link; fascinating stuff... colonial revival being the [first?] 'one true American style' (reproducing our own version of borrowed historical designs). ...And, y'know, the photo you linked to looks *exactly* like a less weathered version of our dining room table (how'd you do that?!)!

I wish we had the chairs and leaves, but we have neither of 'em. But now at least I have a sense of what kinds of chairs would have come with it as a complete set.

Much appreciation for explaining how to spiffy it up, too. That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!

One prob: We've only now noticed the tabletop shimmies pretty dramatically from side to side (like if you lean on it with one elbow, or push on a table edge in any way), and I'm afraid this is going to be a big issue with using this as our main dining table. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cross-stabilize it?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Why is it shimmying? Because the glue joints are loose or because that pin the fits into a hole is wiggeling in the hole?
    Turn the table upsidedown and wiggle it and see where that loose part is.....and reglue.
    Do NOT try nailing or screwing anything that was not nailed or screwed before. Those tables were solid as the day is long.
    One thing i don't see is the sliders underneath that allow the table to open.....could they be missing? In which case you will have to replace them with something....and in that case ignore my directive about screwing things into the table!
    Also, be aware that the top of that table is most likely veneer and while a thick veneer, it's still a layer of wood glued down.....and I am remembering a friend who refinished a table very like yours....and that tabletop was walnut veneer. Yours may also be walnut.

• calliope
    12 years ago

No sense repairing the sliders if you don't have the leaves. They weren't mentioned. BTW.......neat cat.

• lindac
    12 years ago

But the sliders give stability to the table....if you remove the sliders and don'y replace it with "something" the table will shimmy....

• calliope
    12 years ago

That makes sense......just doesn't have to be functional, just bracing.

• David_Riverside
    12 years ago

I am awaiting receipt of my own CL dining suite from Chattanooga Furniture Company. The company was started in 1893. It was around for a while, so a 1930s date is possible, but so is an earlier date. The company manufactured mission suites like mine when they were in fashion, but by 1914 Colonial Revival had become more popular nationally as rising nationalistic feelings linked to the trenches of WWI took hold. Chattanooga Furniture Company tracked this change and your table may also be from this period. The linked article is by the son of the company's founder and discusses the transition to colonial forms. Note that a great many companies that did not introduce effective colonial lines, like Gustav Stickley's, went bankrupt. I think that is the subtext to the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chat Furn Co. Article from 1915

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

While the company may date back to the 1890s, that Jacobean-revival style is pretty definitely '30s.

David, do you have a picture of your mission set? I'd love to see it.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

David - Those massive bulbs on the legs are confined to the late 20s and early 30s.

Even the real Jacobean furniture doesn't have such huge bulbous growths.

• David_Riverside
    12 years ago

Thanks for the lesson. I was researching (rather grandiose term for browsing, I'm afraid) the Chattanooga Furniture Company, and knew they were considering a more Colonial fashions by 1914. I was going with the terms provided in the discussion here, "Colonial" and "Jacobean Revival." I am concentrating on 1900-1914, and those terms were also used then. Thank you for teaching me that these terms applied to something different and specific during the Great Depression. I have also found an 1890 reference to the Company, which I had read started in 1893. Oh well. They had a display at the St. Louis World Expo, but I have yet to find any of their advertising from that period. My furniture arrives tomorrow. Hope it is nice, it has journeyed far.

• Beth Parah
    8 years ago

I have a depression era dining table with 6 chairs and sideboard very similar to this one. I did a lot of research on it, and it is 1930's time period. mine was nearly destroyed by my ex, when he left it outdoors in the rain for an entire winter. it did have walnut veneer on it, but was warped and peeling by time I found it sitting outside. I stripped the veneer off the tiop out of necessity in order to restore the table. It did turn out gorgeous after I was able to re-glue the base and repair the broken pieces of the table. My suggestion to you would be make sure that you also use wood conditioner on the table. It will help keep it in better condition for longer. here are some photos before and after on my table. If you ever decide to restore it , just remember to take your time and it will turn out nice.

• kdavies1957
    7 years ago

I have two dining room suites like these. One I bought in Chickamauga at an antique store. Someone (without painting skills) painted it green and white. The table looks like the one with cat on it. It didn't have chairs and the table shimmeys. I really love it. I found another one on Craigslist. They both were $300. I was telling my neighbor about my "new" dining room suite. The china hutch sets on the buffet. The buffet seemed kind of short. She said it sounded like her grandmothers. Her grandmother had cut the legs off both the china cabinet and hutch. Sure enough the legs have been cut. My original one seems to have about four different kinds of veneer. I've been stripping it. Now I don't know which to keep or which to get rid of. I love them both. The "new" one has the matching chairs and it's all in good shape except for the fact the legs have been cut from the china cabinet and hutch.

This is a picture of my 1st one that I am stripping with all its different veneers. The drawer seems to have an oak veneer on it. The top was the ugliest green you have ever seen.

• Beth Parah
    7 years ago

I would say it is around a 1930ish depression era table. The style was nothing spectacular, because people did not have much money to spend during that time period. But on the up side, they were very well built, and sturdy. They were built to last for many years to come, and they have definitely managed to do that. Beautiful table by the way!!

• kdavies1957
    7 years ago

Will you read my comment and help me decide which one I should keep and which one I should sell. I really love the one with I'm stripping, but it seems like a lot of work. I'm not sure what I will find. The second piece I bought someone cut the legs off the china cabinet and buffet. Either way, I'm keeping the chairs.

• chibimimi
    7 years ago

I would continue stripping, then decide. If you decide to sell the first set, you will get a better price if it doesn't have a bad paint job. But really, the cut-down legs on the second set are a major flaw, so my inclination would be to keep the first set, if you can get the table to stop shimmying.

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

My son has the exact set as the last picture, table purchased first, chairs several months later, but all in great condition. He wast told in both instances the furniture was owned by grandparents, and from the 1930's. The chairs could use reupholstering since they were redone in a fake leather which stiffened thru the years.

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Did anyone else notice the date on this thread?

• kdavies1957
    7 years ago

Thank you. The Furniture Clinic can make it stop shimmying. They are awesome! Yes, I saw the date on the thread. I really wanted some information. After searching the Internet, I finally found this information. I do appreciate all.

• Carrie Lentz
    5 years ago
    Hello Everyone,
    I bought this table and cannot find any information on where it is from & what era. I bought it as a project to resale. Help... Does anyone recognize this look ?
  • Sharon Wood
    3 years ago

Hello
    Could anyone please help me to date this dining set? I’m wondering if it’s old or reproduction, what sort of wood is it, are the chairs the sort that would have been made to go with this table or possibly purchased at a different time seperate to the table and what the style of this design of table and chairs are called?
    Thank you for any help 😊

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Sharon Wood pictures of the tops will allow someone to tell you the style but pictures of the underneath showing how things were put together is what is needed. From the top I see a 1990s to 2010s dining set. Measurements can also help.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Yes...it's a reproduction of a Duncan Phyfe set. Can't tell when it was made because that style has been popular for 200 and more.
    Your set appears to be mahogany and the chairs the proper style for the table. It's a lovely set!

• Sharon Wood
    3 years ago

Thank you 😊

• Wendy E
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i have a similar question on a table? bought from a family who kept it in the barn for family shindigs outside. They said they bought it in an antique store. paid $40 and it was covered in white mold but I cleaned it with a wood cleaner and a little vinegar and then a 000 steel wool and wax. I think it’s lovely and very very solid but there are no identifying marks or labels other than what appear to be 3 lines on the inside of the leave edge. Anyone ?

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Nice.....need more pictures. Let's see how the mechanism to open for the leaves works...and a close up of the bottom of the leaves, closer pictures of the grain of the top.
    I am thinking maybe 1860-70 Eastlake style....but can't see enough to be sure.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Picture wouldn't post....so let's do a link....eastlake table.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/528750812492355365/

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

Yes similar but I wonder if originally this had a center leg? Here’s some more pics

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

And more

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

And a few more

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

It’s really quite sturdy despite some wear and tear and even some dog loving chew marks I think it gives it some history

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

Ha ha the pup wanted in the pic. I think someone tried to refinish the top but didn’t appear to do the leaves. And those are the markings inside the leave I assumed to show the order?

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Yes....Victorian...oak....and looking at the bottom of that board where the sliders are should tell you if there was a center leg>

often people didn't bother to refinish the leaves, because they usually didn't have an apron and when you used the leaves you usually also used a cloth.

Lovely table!!....and rug too!!

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m really loving the table it’s a little lower than I wanted I think it might’ve had wheels I’m going to see if I can find some wood ones. Thanks for your input!

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Turn it over and look to see holes in the legs...likely it did have wheels....and likely porcelain.

• Wendy E
    3 years ago

Oh yes definitely holes I was thinking they would’ve been wood I have another old oak table that had wood ones but they’re too small. I’ll have to look for some

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Wood wheels were later. This era would have been porcelain.

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

Hello,

I’m hoping anyone might be able to help me date this dining table. I apologize if the pictures are a bit dark, the lighting is not great in our current house. The table was my grandmother’s.

When she got it, it didn’t have the original leaves and so she had someone make some, but they do not match. (She always kept a cloth on it.)

My mother loves the table. Except for the nostalgia of it being my grandmother’s I am indifferent about it. We are moving to a new home and, if I am to continue using it, I want to fix the damage and find someone to make matching leaves.

Any info is much appreciated!

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

Here are some more photos...

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

• lindac92
    3 years ago

great old table! Probably dating about 1900, give or take 10 years. Looks like oak....and the leaves can be refinished to match the rest.....opens out wide enough to feed an army!
    And you can have hinged apron pieces made for the leaves, if you want to have it with some leaves and without a cloth.
    Glad you are giving it a good home!!

• Amy Schwab
    3 years ago

@lindac, thank you!! Yes, once upon a time our family was large enough to take up that table and more. ;) I know that's one reason my mom wants to keep and restore it.

I will look for someone to create leaves with an apron. I never have it without at least one leaf in it anyway. And, I am hoping to use it fully extended in our next home.

• Larry 902
    3 years ago

Would anyone know what Style/Era this dining table is from? We were gifted it and very curious to know its history. I appreciate any information. Thanks so much.

• kdavies1957
    3 years ago

It’s beautiful

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Would love to see the top and the method for opening it to accept leaves. Guessing maybe 1880 to 90...
    Looks like it might be mahogany, typical of that period.

• Larry 902
    3 years ago

Got a few more pictures of the table.

• HU-666846536
    2 years ago

Hello, I just found this post while looking to identify a table I just bought. It’s very similar to these tables but has been painted and has veneer on the top. Would you say this is the same style/maker?