Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning/restoring tin?

Posted by mollyjanea (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 03 at 7:39

Any info out there? I have some small old tin items that are a little corroded, and some that are just very dull. Thanks for any help! Mol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning/restoring tin?

Are they tin or tin plated? Tin is very soft and wears away or scratches very easily.
Could they be galvanized?
Linda C

o

oh boy, i don't even know! I have tiny old ice cream spoons, the kind that came with hoodsie cups before they switched to flat little wooden spoons. How do i tell tin from tin plated from galvanized? I need tin 101, i guess...thanks for your help,Linda. Mol

o

Use a magnet ... plated items are zinc or tin on thin steel. The magnet will stick.

o

so, they are zinc or tin plated-now, how to clean/refinish? Thanks! you folks are the best! Mol

o

Wash gently with soap and water and dry them well. They are likely tin plated steel....and not stainless at that. They are old....they look old....isn't that the way antiques are supposed to look?
Linda C...an antique herself!

o

And you might want to apply a good automotive paste wax for protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here