Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I ask for this one?

Posted by functionfirst (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 6:43

This sofa may have been purchased in the 1920s. The wood is in very good condition. The fabric is velvet and is a bit stained but no tears anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I ask for this one?

That's a lot older than 1920's....closer to 1820's. Has an "Empire" flavor to is....likely...1870's?
Beautiful piece!

o

That is so beautiful...I'll be interested to hear what informed people say about what to ask for it.

o

Wow--that's a lot older than I thought. Do you have any idea at all what I should ask for it? Someone is interested in buying it but I simply have no idea. Even a ballpark number or range. I'll try to search the internet now that I know it's from the Empire period.

o

Could that be a Biedermeier sofa? They have an Art Deco sleekness that often fools people, and sometimes an Arts and Crafts overtone ...

I'd be contacting dealers who specialize in that era, because it's a specialty style, and selling it to the right market can mean several hundreds of dollars more. Worth serious research.

Here's some examples:

http://www.ritterantik.com/antique_furniture/1267/Biedermeier_Sofa_and_Daybeds/BIEDERMEIER_SOFAS_&_DAYBEDS_SO256.html

http://www.ritterantik.com/antique_furniture/945/Biedermeier_Sofa_and_Daybeds/BIEDERMEIER_SOFAS_&_DAYBEDS_SO250.html

o

I think it's classic American Empire......and older than I first said....unless it's a very good repro!
What does the bottom look like? any signs of being re upholstered?

Here is a link that might be useful: empire sofa

o

I'll try to lift it up next time I'm there. It's very heavy.

I have a buyer for everything but the loveseat, and I need to know what to ask and be in the ballpark. I'd love to keep it if I can find a place for it in my house, but I have many beautiful things already from this side of the family to pass on one day. I appreciate everyones' comments.

o

I would be delighted to store it in my house for you!! No charge. As long as you like. Wow! That is just gorgeous! I've been looking for an old sofa....not that old because it wouldn't be in my price range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here