Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help date and value this chair

Posted by jonjon75 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 6:27

Hi all
I'm trying to find some information on this chair. I bought it from an American family living in England . They shipped the chair from the states to England in the 70s when they moved here.
Any help on age and value would be greatly appreciated.
The cushions ( not pictured are sprung and horsehair )
Kindest regards
Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help date and value this chair

Jon, if it weren't for those arms, I would say it is 1920s-30s. But I've never seen arms like that -- they are special! I still might go with the above dates, when there was renewed interest in "colonial" styles, but made by a smaller workshop or srtisan, not a mass-manufacturer. That's just a guess, though.

Are there any labels or stencils with a brand? What kind of wood is it?

Does it have a cushion for the back?

o

Very much a 20th century (20s-50s), with a lot of the form of the standard wooden "club chair with loose cushions" but THOSE ARMS! I've never seen any like it, and I can't figure out what function they would serve with that shape.

The wide spots are too far back to be "writing arms" and drinks would be endangered by the sitter's elbows ... perhaps it was a custom order for someone who needed the support for an invalid? Or liked to rest with their elbows sprawled out?

o

The chair is completely unmarked ie no makers mark or stamp etc . I've managed to speak to the lady the chair came from and it was purchased by her mother in buffalo just after the war but was second hand then .
Thanks for the replies
If anyone manages to work out any further info I'd be very grateful
Regards
Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here