Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziggy123_gw

have you ever seen these?

ziggy123
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying reading and looking at pictures for about a year now. A friend of mine got this armoire and lamp at a consignment shop. The armoire is 8' long and 9'3" tall! It's huge. We were told it is from Brazil. Any thoughts or ideas about this? She also got this lamp - it has a wooden base, the shade only has 3 sides. The painting on the shade is best seen when the lamp is on. The only writing I can find on the lamp was a sticker that said "Theal" I can't find anything on the internet about this lamp - I love it and would like one for my fireplace!

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x351/greggywhite1/

since this is my first posting please let me know if the pictures show up!

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Wow!!
    I have seen a lamp like that before....Strictly from memory I want to say made in China about 1900 to 1920.
    But the armoire!! Sure looks old...hand painted....hinges and lock look hand made....appears to be well worn....and the style is vaguely "Spanish". Without you telling me I might have said Mexican hacendia furniture....but it could be Brazilian.
    Would love to see good photos of the inside and back if that's possible.
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

Looks like your friend likes the 'exotic' look. Questions: how can they be sure that the two pieces are top and base, and not designed to be two pieces? I cannot remark at all about age of the pieces from these photographs. One must be very careful about assessing age when styles are not mainstream American without really looking at construction techniques. On the surface, they do looked well aged, but there are some very convincing 'aged' repros out there.

Lamp sure looks Asian and I like it very much. I'm surprised it's got a wooden base and not brass. I'm suspect it is not very much older than mid-20th century, however. I had three Japanese lamps with rice paper shades with pressed butterflies on the inner layer. Yes, the light coming through does bring it to life.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I too wondered if it was a cupboard and buffet. The top of the "buffet" seems very finished to have had a top sitting on it for any time....but the top has no feet....and the bottom does.
    And now than I think about, I can see a little Portuguese look to the painting...

• calliope
    12 years ago

It's one of those 'you have to be there in person' jobs to really know for sure. I have seen so much modern tole work done on furniture to duplicate an aged item, not necessarily done as an imposter, just modern made items with a theme so that they fit into primitive decorating. I also don't put stock into whether something has 'feet' or not, because heavy items like that often just had a small block as a foot, and those are easily removed.

You have to admit with the modern open-look homes with the extremely high ceilings, there is a need for gigantuan and tall furniture to balance the look. Nobody has even asked if the pieces were sold as "old". They may not have been. Brazil has its quaint places, of course, but it's a modern and sophisticated country in other areas with a good export market.

They're neat pieces old or newer. Might check the height of the rods in the armoire section and shelf heights. Are they at the proper level off the base? Would they uncomfortably high if it were on the base?

• ziggy123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses - I will take some more pictures of the inside of the cabinets and the back tomorrow. I do remember when we were looking on the inside we could not find one nail.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

About the only way to really tell origin of a piece is to identify the wood. It's "Latin American Colonial" looking, but that's a huge area.

It looks fabulous in that room, which is all that counts.