Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bittemor

Can someone please help me?

Bittemor
11 years ago

I collect this Alfred Meakin Royal Floating Blue porcelain. I'd really like to know all parts they produced of it. Is there some way of finding out?

Excuse my bad English. I live in Norway

Comments (14)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Do you know the name of the pattern? ( by the way it's called "flowing blue" or sometimes "flow blue").
    If you know the name you can find it on Replacements.com and find more pieces.
    Lovely set!
    Linda C

• Bittemor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't kn�w the name of it. ;( Replacments.com was new to me, -perfect! :) Thanks a lot! :) I'll have to open all the different china names and see if I can find the right one. :)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Can you post a picture of the stamp on the bottom? Very often that's where the name is.

• Bittemor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's just what I started to think about, AFTER opening up all the different chinas from a-d!!!! Ha-ha! It's called Raleig. I thought ar first it was where the factory was located... ;) Do you know it there is a catalouge from the company that list's the different pieces? I'm googling, but I can't find it. I guess this is only a dinnerset as I've never seen coffecups...

• Bittemor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's just what I started to think about, AFTER opening up all the different chinas from a-d!!!! Ha-ha! It's called Raleig. I thought ar first it was where the factory was located... ;) Do you know it there is a catalouge from the company that list's the different pieces? I'm googling, but I can't find it. I guess this is only a dinnerset as I've never seen coffecups...

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: alfred meakin raleigh bowl at replacements

• Bittemor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Anyone who might know where to find info about the different parts? :)

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Is this what you mean? (Note there are several pages)

Here is a link that might be useful: names of china pieces

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

For additional pieces, or just to find out what other pieces were made, I like to look at ebay!

• Bittemor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Colleenoz, not quite. My question is excactly wich items they made in the Alfred Meakin Raleigh china. Now I've seen coffecups and trays. I've seen fishplates. But the different serving pices sizes etc..

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Is this a piece? I've always thought flow blue was blue/white only. Maybe it's not a 'true' flow blue??

Here is a link that might be useful: Flow blue

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

beautiful piece!

doesn't look like "flow" to me, looks like transferware.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

This seller calls it flow blue transferware. Is it all one and the same?

Here is a link that might be useful: The 'same' but 'different'?

• triciae
    11 years ago

All "Flow Blue" is transferware as is its cousin "Flow Mulberry". The height of the period was about 1845-1855. Almost all of it was for the American export trade. As a result these pieces are relatively rare in England. Here in America, during the 1980s-1990s, much "Flow Blue" and "Flow Mulberry" was purchased by collectors and as of yet has not left those collector's hands so it's gotten rare to locate on this side of the pond as well. Both colors were often made in the same, or similar, patterns.

I have an extensive collection of both "Flow Blue" and "Flow Mulberry" with the latter my favorite by far. About 3-4 years ago, I sold a platter of combined "Flow Blue" and "Flow Mulberry" at our booth in CT. These pictures are not as close up as would be desired for this type of use but still you can see the difference between what's shown above in this post and the early period "Flow Blue".

The pieces pictured above are from a much later period (1870s-1880s, maybe even 1890s) and very much different. They appeal to a different collector as well. Your first give away is the gold rims. You'd never see that in an early piece. Also, the fancy molds and lighter weight. An early piece is very heavy for its size and the ink is very smudged ("flowing").

Here's my pictures of a Davenport combined "Flow Blue" and "Flow Mulberry" platter that dates to 1848.

{{gwi:1393932}}

{{gwi:1393933}}

Here is a picture of "Flow Mulberry" as a close-up so the style of the transferware's ink flow can be seen better.

{{gwi:1393934}}

Personally, I think it's a stretch to refer to the OP's pictures as "Flow Blue".

/tricia