Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesm1234

Is it from China or Japanese or UK or US

mikesm1234
13 years ago

I'm trying to ID my moms old tea set, it was purchased from a yard sale upstate NY around 1980. It looks to be hand painted with gold around the rim and on the sides. If held up to the light, light can be seen threw, it is pretty thin. Any help is appreciated.

picture below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1393920}}

Comments (17)

• calliope
    13 years ago

show us the bottoms, please.

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here is are bottoms

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1393921}}

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

some more pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1393922}}

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

more shots

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1393923}}

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

even more wide shots

Thanks again for any info at all

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1393924}}

• blueheron
    13 years ago

I have no idea where it was manufactured, but it looks like it is hand-painted china and it is a beautiful set.

• wendy177
    13 years ago

Hand - painted for sure but without makers mark impossible to tell who it was made by. beautiful set!!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I assume it was hand painted also. My grandmother had a lovely dessert plate set that she hand painted. It was an acceptable activity for young ladies when she was waiting to marry, which must have been around 1900.

Since you can see light through the china, I suspect that it is bone china. I could hold my hand against the bottom of my grandmother's china plates and bowls and hold them up to the light and was able to see the outline of my hand.

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

is it odd that there are no markings?

• calliope
    13 years ago

That is just absolutely beautiful. I can't help you, but your mother had good taste.

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

The porcelain looks yellow rather than white in the photos. This would indicate they were from England, made in a certain local where the clay caused the china to have a yellow cast. Maybe this is not so on your set. Just a guess from the pictures.
    I saw this on the English Antiques Road Show.

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

there is some yellow on top, the bottom is white. They where stored in the garage for years. I never thought it would be so hard to date and ID a maker.

• lindac
    13 years ago

There is not much concrete to go on....
    But the absence of any mark makes me thing Asia....and specifically China. It's of the flo blue era...about the late 19rth century, early 20th.
    The imperfections I see in the china and the glaze make me thing China....the colors and the decorations make me think made for export....with a paper label. The yellow is not the body of the ware but rather a glaze...nothing about place of origin.
    bone china is white...pure white, lots of porcelain is grey-ish....and other not as white as bone china, but you can't tell the difference without holding the pieces side by side.
    It's a lovely set!!
    Linda C

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where would you put in in terms of worth, if you had to say. And thank you for that description by the way, it should help me in finding a maker.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Here's something similar. It says Nippon so my guess of made in China was obviously wrong. But it's of the same era.
    Do a search in Google images for things like "nippon tea set" and "Japanese tea cup" or "cobalt and gold tea set" and see what you find.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: similar tea set

• mikesm1234
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda C, thats pretty close to what I have I think. Back to Google.