Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roseville freesia jrdniere (top part only) small crack--wd you?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 0:37

Hi folks,

I am contemplating buying a Roseville freesia jardiniere, only the top part, even though in the middle of the inside-bottom there is a crack radiating out from a point of damage. AT this point it doesn't go through to the outside, but it does have four rays...

I'm fairly sure it's real, has all the 'aura' and I've seen fakes and this is not one of them. The only problem is that crack in the bottom -- SO, in that scenario, would you buy it? And is there anything to do about it that won't kill the value of it if I do? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roseville freesia jrdniere (top part only) small crack--wd yo

I would buy it if the price was really right and I wanted to use it as a decorative item, not an investment.

o

You saying that only the top is cracked? Or you are only thinking of buying the top? Is it a 2 part piece?
I agree with chibimimi....if the price is right....buy it.

o

Please explain what you mean by 'the top part'.

o

Well, it's moot now, but the idea was that the jardiniere is a big pot that sits on a matching ceramic stand -- and it's only the top part, the pot, not the ceramic stand.

But by the time I got there, it was gone. Luckily I had taken the #4 size vase, which is in perfect condition.

can't win them all!

o

Bummer......

o

Eh, I'm o.k. with it, even though I violated my #1 rule of thrifting: buy whatever you think might be good, and return it later if it doesn't pan out (my g'will accepts returns within 14 days). I violated the rule, partly because of my DH (sometimes he sends me weird vibes that make me feel strange about a particular thing -- I should know *not* to trust them now, because the things he's doubted the most turn out to be the most amazing, actually--note to self: DH's opinion has negative correlation to value of item LOL)...and I did get the piece that was in perfect condition, so that's good. I love freesia, too, and love the colors...the things people's families toss out!

o

Soo....what did you buy in perfect condition?

o

The 669-4 freesia piece...it's smaller, not worth as much, but perfect.

Art pottery isn't really my area -- I'm more interested in studio pottery (and of course sometimes the paths of the two do cross)-- but I'm not going to turn down real Roseville if I happen upon it : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here