Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Jersey Traveling Library

Posted by deadpoetnj (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 0:04

I have a wooden cabinet that was used as part of the New Jersey Traveling Library. It bears the number 160 on it along with the title of this post. I am not familiar with what the traveling library was exactly, but I have an good idea (obviously). I am not sure what part of NJ it took place in and during what time period. I am trying to determine the age and value of this item. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Traveling Library

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Jersey Traveling Library

I can make a guess. My grandfather sold insurance on the road, at same time there were others selling pots & pans & other items.Reason he sold on the road as not enough people in small town he lived in. Lot of the towns didn't have stores or even a school or library. Kids would go to a country school between towns. As a teen I went with a friend & took a load of books to a small town for the folks there to read, imagine they got passed on to next town. GF was traveling shortly after start of 1900's. Can't see inside of your cabinet but imagine books were lined up on the shelves so customers could see the titles & check them out & then person would come back through in couple of weeks & returns were made & new books checked out. Don't know how the person would make a living doing loaning out of books tho. Maybe hired by the county. Also traveling salesmen often spent the night in peoples barns & lady of house would give him breakfast.They usually carried bread & some kind of dried meat along. Imagine library guy did same things depending on how he was traveling. Horse with small cart was popular. I have pic of dad standing by his dad's

o

Thanks for your information sunnyca. That's interesting to know. Also, thanks for pointing out the fact that I forgot to include the photos of the inside. I have posted them now. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Traveling Library

o

By Googleing around, you can find a number of references to it. I think it was a state-run thing, like a Bookmobile. Why not contact the NJ State Historical association?

Here is a link that might be useful: Googel Book search--NJ Traveling Library

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here