Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firewife251

small copper bowl I think

firewife251
9 years ago

I'm not sure of its origin and I'm not really sure what it was used for I have no idea if its copper or if it some other kind of metal. has anyone ever seen anything like this or can point me in the right direction as to how to find out what exactly it is. I got it at a garage sale about a year ago and the lady couldn't tell me anything about it.please excuse the tweezers I used as a prop lol. I have different picture of the bottom with some what I believe is Chinese writing but I couldn't figure out how to post more than one picture.

Comments (3)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

If your photos are hosted somewhere online (for example, in Photobucket or flickr or on your own website), then paste the "html" code here and you can put multiple photos in one post.

If your photos are not on the Web, you're limited to one photo per post, but you can always post a second photo in a second post on that thread, and a third photo in a third post on that thread, etc. (Sometimes GW's software gets a bit paranoid and thinks consecutive posts indicate a spammer. If that happens, you can usually get around the issue by changing the text in the Subject of Posting box.)

But what you shouldn't do is to post multiple threads on the same topic. The threads may start out next to each other, but they won't stay together. It's very confusing for everyone -- and that means you'll be less likely to get replies to your topic.
    ===

To me, the object in question looks more like bronze (or some mixture) than copper.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like brass that needs cleaning to me. Brass is yellow hued & if clean looks gold colored. Not as bright as read gold metal tho. Don't know what this bowl would be used for tho.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Brass can vary in color from yellow (low brass) to near the reddish color of copper (high or naval brass). The color depends on the alloy content. Low, or common yellow brass has 60% copper with 40% zinc (60/40). High brass has 90% copper with 10% zinc (90/10). Sometimes a 70/30 grade of brass is used in the better quality electrical products.

It is difficult to tell the color of the alloy when it is dirty or tarnished, but experience can help.