Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazybusytoo

How to Display/Protect a 1920s Top Hat

crazybusytoo
10 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a vintage top hat that has been in the family for years. I used to keep it in a glass cabinet but I'd like to display it more prominently on a bookshelf.

It is 12" from brim to brim, and I can't seem to find a display case big enough to fit it.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Just think about the dimensions and the need for it to be clear ... The display domes used for dolls? And consider a terrarium or fish tank or really big glass jar.

If you don't mind having the case edges show, make or buy a 15x15x15 cube with glass sides.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass dome?

• User
    10 years ago

I wanted to display my Teddy Bear but everything I found was too expensive. I ended up using a plastic storage bag, think it is a blanket bag. I'm not happy with it but can't afford the one I'd like.

• crazybusytoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lazygardens, for the suggestion of the glass cube. I'd never heard of that before, but I found a place online that was only $32 for the components to build a 12x12 class cube.

lovemkitchen, I agree, those trophy boxes are outrageously priced.These were so reasonable. I expect to receive it next week! If you are still in the market, I'll let you know how it works out.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

You could construct a clear display cube/box out of clear plastic. Two canidate materials are acrylic and polycarbonate (plexiglass). Look for replacement panels for storm and patio doors. Use compatible cements to glue it together.

A lazy start could be a fish tank, but you might not find one with an appropriate shape. Make a lid for the top.

It would be best if the enclosure was air tight to slow aging. Flood the interior with dry nitrogen gas and seal the box. Keep out of direct light, flourescence lamps and the new compact flourescent lights. If practical, store in a darkened space.